Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Eve Bread Baking

Options
SmokinGuitarPlayer
SmokinGuitarPlayer Posts: 698
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We decided to bake a bunch of Artisan Bread at the store on Christmas eve to have a tasting session and give small loaves to our customers. Here are some of the pics of the BGE setup and the bread!
EGGWCLOCHE.jpg[url]
This is how we setup our XL Egg for Bread baking.

BREAD-12-24-0914.jpg
Loaf in
BREAD-12-24-0920.jpg
Loaf out!
BREAD-12-24-0918.jpg
Loaves in!
BREAD-12-24-092.jpg
Loaves out!

BREAD-12-24-094.jpg
We cut these ciabatta loaves up and stuffed them with Egg'd Chicken, peppers and onions. Like "Chicken Cheese Steak sandwiches" but without the cheese ...the SGP is on a diet so we had to lose the cheese. :laugh:
FB/SGP

* NOTE TODAY !! SATURDAY ... 12 NOON EGG DEMO COOK IN THE FREEZING RAIN! (Shillington, Pa.)[/url]
Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Outstanding!!!!

What are you cooking today?
  • Camano
    Camano Posts: 134
    Options
    Do you need to use steam at first or is the cover enough to give the bread the nice thick crust?
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    OK. It is obvious I need to be a customer so I can get one those loaves! Outstanding!! Would you share the recipes?
  • ranchonodinero
    Options
    Could you share the recipes? They look great!
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    BOB .... Today we made ABT's ...and I had a private class where I demonstrated how to make the "Freaky Italian Dried Peppers" ... like on my video of the same name.... You've been in the store so you might have noticed all those wierd peppers hanging on strings all over the place ....it's my mom's technique and has really nothing to do with the BGE or grilling but it's something that you don't see often. I had some friends and customers over that were interested in learning it including mr. bosshawg himself. We washed the peppers down with a couple of loaves of the artisan bread left over from the other day ... my pics in an earlier post.

We also tried ABT's using Turkey Bacon intead of the real bacon ... we dumped a bunch of one of my rubs on them and they were not so bad but the ones with the real bacon were of course the best.

I'm now home from a very busy month... and I now plan to have some R&R ....I made pizza dough today and tomorrow ..I'm gonna give my new gasket a test on my large in my backyard so watch for the flames and fumes and the smell of burned pizza crust (and gasket and blue) around Eastern Pa. !! Whoopee ..love those flames ... I stole a box of that coconut charcoal (from myself) and maybe I'll give that a test also and report.

FB/SGP
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    All the bread recipes were from Peter Reihnart's latest book ... When I went to his class I was blown away by how easy it was to bake fabulous bread.....the Egg setup you see in the pics is my idea and works really good. It' sort of a "closche" I think the word is .. sort of an oven inside an oven... Peter told me that one of his recipe testers used a similar setup in a home oven (inverted aluminum roasting pan) to keep in the steam and I've been commuinicating with him about all this and he is quite interested in how I am doing this in the Egg.

For all of you that are interested, Peter and I are working on a date this coming summer for him to come up and do a class in our store. He typically bakes on a Forno Bravo wood fired oven which we are dealers for in our area but we are planning to "apply" his recipes to the bge using my setup ideas (and yours?), that you see in the pics.

So stay tuned and I'll let you know if/when he will be here. I have had a few people email me to be put on a "notify list' so if you are really interested, email me off-list and I'll let you know when it's all setup. My store will subsidize his fees and travel expenses so it'll be inexpensive or free maybe even and you really shouldn't miss it if you are interested in baking. We make his cinnabons all the time now and they are killer!

Again, if you want more info, e-me off list.
    FB/SGP
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    See my earlier (and rather wordy) reply ! They are all from Peter Reinhart's latest book.
  • ranchonodinero
    Options
    SmokinGuitarPlayer wrote:
    See my earlier (and rather wordy) reply ! They are all from Peter Reinhart's latest book.
    http://www.amazon.com/Peter-Reinharts-Artisan-Breads-Every/dp/1580089984/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    A couple of questions from another Egg bread baker:

Are all the basic pain a l'ancienne recipe? Do you have other favorites? I don't have the book yet but it's sitting in my Amazon cart (I've been using the Artisan Bread/Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day books)...

Are all the boules shaped with/risen in a banneton basket (I can tell at least one is)? What size and where did you get them?

I'll contact you offlist about the Reinhart class - if RV travel timing works out it would be fun!

Michelle
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Fred, Your bread looks awesome. Love the crust! I would be very interested in a Peter Reinhart class. Does he intend to make recipes from his current book, or all books? Sure hope I can get the time off for this. Thanks.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    I just got AB in Five and HB in Five for Christmas. Are there any favorite recipes you recommend? I've made 2 from HB in Five and just love how easy it is to go to the fridge and grab a chunk and bake it!
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    I just got AB in Five and HB in Five for Christmas. Are there any favorite recipes you recommend? I've made 2 from HB in Five and just love how easy it is to go to the fridge and grab a chunk and bake it!
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    Dimple's Mom wrote:
    I just got AB in Five and HB in Five for Christmas. Are there any favorite recipes you recommend?

Besides the 2 master recipes (one from each book), our favorite in the first book is the European Peasant Bread. I haven't made a lot of the others in that book (pretty much kept making the peasant bread, we liked it that much!).

In the Healthy Bread book we also really like the Quinoa Bread (just be sure to rinse and strain your quinoa well to get rid of the saponin that makes it bitter. The Pumpkin Pie Brioche, especially when made into cinnamon swirl bread in a loaf pan, cinnamon rolls (I used Alton Brown's overnight roll recipe for the filling and icing), and the recipe for cinnamon crescents in the HB book, is wonderful, too.

I wasn't 100% in love with Betsy's Seeded Oat bread, but I think my seed mixture was stale.

Right now I have the 10 Grain Bread dough in the fridge. I think it might have absorbed more water than expected, since it's a much stiffer dough that when I mixed it. I'll have to see how that bakes up.

Michelle
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    I have made the pumpkin bioche and it was delish. I did use some of the dough for cinnamon rolls and again - delish!

Today I'm going to try the main recipe in the first book and the hamburger bun recipe in the second book. My problem will be how to store all that dough in the fridge!

If you're cooking from the books a lot, you might be interested in this group:
    http://www.bigblackdogs.net/2009/12/welcome-to-2nd-hbinfive-bread-braid.html

There is a lot of sharing of great tips!
    Gwen