Someone tell me I'm being fanatical...
When I was a little boy, I remember my dad grew mushrooms in the dark, cool basement of our house. He went to a local horse farm and picked up fresh horse s**t and packed it in wooden boxes. Then put a spore right in the middle of each box. Then he stacked them on top of each other and waited...then harvested.
Now every time I see a cooking show on TV, the Chef always says don't wash your mushrooms...just brush them off, because they'll hold too much water when you cook them.
NOT ME! I wash my mushrooms! Am I over doing it?