Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

WooHoo I got crackle

Aussie_HughAussie_Hugh Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy all,[p]On the weekend I had my first go at pork on the egg. I am not a big fan of too much smoke flavour and was concerned that pork would absorb it like chicken so I have held off trying pork.[p]I thus did not add any wood chips and made sure the fire was well established before putting the meat on.[p]Anyway I hedged my bets by putting on 1.3kg beef topside and 1.3kg pork shoulder roasts. Set up at about 400F indirect (cast iron skillet over pizza stone).[p]Typically this weight of meat should take about 1 1/2 to 2 hours in an oven at 400F. However I think that my setup must have resulted in the thermometer reading hotter than where the meat was. I say this because the meat was only about 120F internal after that time.[p]I cranked up the temp to 500F and gave them another 3/4 hour. The meat came out fine, not too much smoke. Even more pleasing was that I managed to get the rind to turn into crackle. You have to have crackle with pork![p]When I took them off the beef was not dried out and the pork was just right.[p]Cheers,
Hugh.