Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low Temp Burgers, not a Good Idea

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last when I got home, my wife informed me that the burgers were in the basement fridge and that I should fire up the egg. She used an interesting combination of Spices. On top of a layer of mustard, she placed JJ’s Rub, Char Crust Roto Roast and Brucie’s Blend Zydeco Seasoning. The flavor came out great.[p]This was the first time that I have ever had problems getting a temperature in the egg.
First of all, there was a straight down pour. I used my much-neglected small BGE. I stirred the lump that was inside, lit the fire starter and piled new lump around it. It just never started right. I am sure that the lump was damp because it was throwing out lots of white smoke.[p]After a half hour, the temp was only at 250. I stirred the lump again and then I was able to get the temp to 300. I was shooting for 600. I think that the grate was probably clogged as well. Anyways, I put the hamburgers on at 300 and the temp dropped back to 250. After four minutes, I checked the burgers. They were nowhere ready to be turned so I left them alone for four minutes more. I flipped them and they did not stay together that entire well. I cooked them for another eight minutes. I decided to cook them for eight minutes more after that. I took them off.[p]We ate them, they tasted great but not to level that high temp burgers come out. I took way too long and the results were not worth it.[p]I am at a dangerous state … I am almost out of lump.[p]Go Tribe!
RhumAndJerk

Comments

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p] Don't want everyone to think that low-temp burgers are a total fiasco. It depends on what you want. If you want to sear them and get them on the table fast, there's nothing wrong with high temps. However, I sometimes like to smoke them. It really is a good change of pace and tastes great. I usually do them for about 45 minutes to an hour at 220-250 over hickory smoke.[p]MikeO

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    MikeO, I agree. I don't believe that I have ever broken the 400 degree barrier when doing burgers and have never been disappointed. The lower temps give the burgers time to lick up that lovely smoke and sweat out the fat at the same time.[p]This is an especially effective technique when cooking up burgers the size of canned hams like we do up here in the Great White North.[p]
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    I guess that I will have to try low-temp burgers again. The majority of the problem was that I was expecting to cook the burgers at a high temp and I was having fire problems.[p]I think that if I plan how cook the burgers better I would get better results. NatureBoy had suggested putting a slight freeze on the burgers, smoke them for a half hour and then sear them, sort of like he has done some steaks. [p]I will try again.
    RhumAndJerk