Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My daughter Sydney's MeatLoaf . . .I'm so Proud

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

my eggsistant and daughter, sydney makes great meatloaf. .. so last night she did it on the egg. . . her recipe is simple but good. .. burger, onion, italian bread crumbs, eggs. . .thats it . . .i tried to get her to put in some cowlick or witchy red, but she said 'nope, this is my recipe, leave me alone. .. . did it at 350 indirect w/ hickory chunks for about 1 hour and 20 minutes (it started a little low and worked up to 350, but that gave it some nice smoke). . ..she did it all from loading the firebox, to getting it going with mapp torch to maintaining vents and temps. .. .it was most excellent. .. [p]LinkPhoto?GUID=f9857d80-609a-384d-4cc2-12c3327b43fd&size=lg
[p]here is young sydney with the meatloafs getting started[p]LinkPhoto?GUID=18cf4623-67f4-2e2e-7352-3eed1f2118f9&size=lg
[p]here they are almost ready to pull . .. [p]LinkPhoto?GUID=2db07b54-3145-2ce4-5312-208c25e83886&size=lg
[p]the proud cook with her creation. . .ate one of them for dinner last night. . .the other one will be sandwiches today and tomorrow. ..[p]LinkPhoto?GUID=3a0c26b5-7332-7454-7227-6b134e572455&size=lg
[p]dinner plate with pasta and peas. .. .i had my meatloaf with a litte of ken stone's big chief sauce on the side. .. . delicious. . ..[p]i'm such a proud papa.. . .

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Way to go Sydney!! My stomach is growling.[p]Sometimes good things happen when you stand up and don't listen to Dad![p]Everything looks fabulous.....except for the peas. Yuch.
    Do I see a sous chef for the Free Range BBQ team this year?
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    she is lobbying hard to come to waldorf and new holland. . .we'll have to see. .. i'm still not sure i want her around the likes of you/stump/woo/charwhateverhisnameisgoingtobe/etc. . ..[p]then again. . . .[p]how was albequerque????

• Nature Boy
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    My nephew Kenny, and the twins will most likely be at New Holland. Kenny is gonna enter the kids Q. I will make sure Woo and I are on our best behavior.[p]Albuquerque was awesome, thanks. Will try and get a couple pix up later. The show was pretty amazing. Hard to believe all the stuff they do with peppers. Fun all the way around, and the learning experience was well worth the trip. [p]It didn't take but a few hours driving around New Mexico to see why it is the "Land of Enchantment".
    Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • mad max beyond eggdome,
    You mentioned she "did it at 350 indirect w/ hickory chunks for about 1 hour and 20 minutes (it started a little low and worked up to 350, but that gave it some nice smoke). . ..[p]Any idea what the INTERNAL TEMP was, or is this classified info?[p]FYI, my seven year old is learning to cook. If you ask here about her secret recipe she beckons you real close, then whispers 'can you keep a secret?' which always gets a 'yes' to which she responds 'I can too'.[p]Sassy :-)[p]

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    peterN,
    pulled it when it was at about 150 internal. . .just had a hint of pink in the center(unlike our steaks, which we always eat medium rare, we like our meatloaf more like medium well). .. because we were running a little late, the loafs (which weighed about 1 3/4 pounds each) went on when dome temps were about 250, and it took about another 10 minutes to stabilize at the 350. .. .normally, we probably would have gotten a good steady 350, then had them on for about 1 hour.. . . the time at the lower temps got a nice smokey infusion though, so it worked out fine. . .
    btw, it was indirect over a plate setter covered in aluminum foil. ..[p]yep, daughters can be sassy can't they. .. ;-)

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Proud you should be. We need people like her to keep an open mind to recipes. How boring it would be if we always did the same thing.
    Thanks for the recipe Sydney. I can even eat them peas.
    Bob

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Way to go Sydney & proud papa! Joe

• Rib-Rob
    Rib-Rob Posts: 66
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    "Hard to believe all the stuff they do with peppers." Stump--where ARE you??? You guys crack me up!

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thanx for the info - just happened to read on another site someone cookin a meatloaf to 160 which kives with what you're tellin me.
    peterN

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I love meatloaf on the Egg. I usually do mine direct in a meatloaf pan for about the same time. Then, straight to sandwiches with some good bbq sauce!

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]So THAT's the send button...[p]Hey Chris, welcome back![p]To quote a Phamous Phrench Philosoper (whose name temporarily escapes me) "If God did not create peas, it would be necessary for Man to invent them".[p]Lookin' good Sydney![p]Ken
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Thanks Ken
    But I say "If God did not create peas, everyone would be eating fresh crunchy asparagus.....and that would be just fine with me."
    Hee

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Sounds like a smart young lady, and I agree with you; you have every right to be a proud poppa!
    Hammer

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    LinkPhoto?GUID=1c9458a0-2433-7c7d-68c6-4fb2502e4753&size=lg
    <p />mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Yumm...I love them meatloafs..cept the one momma made with that bandaid in it..poor momma..she spent hours lookin for that thing..when all she had to do was just wait for grampa to start eatin. I don't know what's wrong with grampa..youd think he woulda been happy to help momma find that gnarly ol thing..but he sure didn't look it. [p]This here is a meatloaf I did last year sometime..I remember postin the recipe for it at one time....it had no bandaid in it though...so's I can't say it was as good as mommas..but I know grampa didn't stop eatin this one though..till it was all gone...[p]
    Ahh..the life of a Stump...[p]StumpBaby

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Sidney! Dude, you have one cool daughter.[p]Something tells me Sid is going to be a force to be reckoned with in the next few years on the bbq trail.[p]And no worries with her hanging out with da boys.... she can take care of herself just fine......... :~)[p]John