Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spring hinge

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am getting ready to purchase a Large BGE and have heard good and bad things about the spring hinge. Most of the archive messages are from newly installed users. Does anyone have a recommendation after some extended use?

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Maguyver,[p]I wouldn't trade mine for 10 of the old style hinges. A GREAT improvement and was worth waiting for.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Maguyver, I have had mine for two years aand I have had no problems.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Maguyver,
    I waited on getting my small until they had a spring hinge for it and am considering changing from the auto-lock to spring on my large. Only thing holding me back is having to elevate the egg even more to accomodate the tile table top, something I'd rather not do. Get the spring hinge and don't worry.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Maguyver,[p]Seems the problems have been with the first edition Chinese made hinges. BGE has since switched to USA made and the problems have gone away.
    You can tell an American made by the handle bolted, instead of welded, to the band.[p]By the way, I use a Chinese made band and have not had a problem.[p]John

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    I'm happy that your Chinese-made band isn't giving you the problems I've read about from others. I have my new (as of last fall) band still in the box, which identifies it as being made in China. Only now is the weather beginning to cooperate and I'm thinking of installing it. I have a spring-hinge on the Small, and I love it!
    Cheers,
    G.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Gretl,[p]Funny, mine sat in it's box for nearly a year before I overcame my laziness and installed it. The band went on slick and quick ....... made me feel a little silly for waiting so long.
    Don't know how I lived without it........ take the plunge and put that puppy on![p]John