Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Question

Smokin' TSmokin' T Posts: 259
edited 3:52PM in EggHead Forum
Just raised my cooking grid to the gasket line with three STEEL bolts, nuts and washers. These were placed in a tri-pod fashion. Will the steel have any ill effects on food, taste or anything else. Should I be concerned with anything else.

Tom
Dunedin, Fl

Comments

• Teach42Teach42 Posts: 219
    Don't have any links handy, but I read that stainless steel should be just fine. Your egg will never get up tot a high enough temperature to create the situations where dangerous gasses could be created.

FYI, I just created a raised grid myself, and used stainless steel bolts, screws and washers.
  •  
    Over time there has been a lot of posts on the subject.

Galvanized, aluminum and such. Most say go with stainless.

There is a lot of conversation that the temperature is not reached to cause any 'bad' fumes.

Personally I have no real knowledge. I use TJV's Adjustable Rib and don't worry about it.

GG
  • fieroguyfieroguy Posts: 777
    Tom - You are good to go
  • ...and remember, if it DID get up to those dangerous temps, stainless would be worse than most other metals

steel, stainless, galvy, copper, aluminum.... none of it matters in the egg