Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Matt - Butt feed update ?? (how'd it go?)

Options

Comments

• peterN,[p]Thanks for asking![p]The feeding is tonight! I put the but on last night at 7:00, went to bed at 12:00 with the temp fine, set my alarm for 3:00, temp was fine, with in range, woke up at 6:30 and the temp was at 250. I hope it didn't go much over that, if it did at all.[p]After 14 hours and 20 minutes my 8.5 pound butt is at 197 degrees.[p]When should I take it off?

• Matt,
    Well, I would say that your temp for the butt is just about done. If the whole thing is acting like jello then it is ready to be pulled. If you leave it on too long it will dry out on ya.[p]If you think that it is jello like and ready to fall apart, you might consider taking it off now and wrapping in foil. I don't know what time tonight you plan on serving, so I can't comment on how to hold it.[p]I do know that an ice chest, sans ice, will hold butts and briskets wrapped in foil for several hours and they will still be hot to the touch.[p]Hope this helps
    Matt.

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Matt,[p]I would pull it now, wrap it in 2 layers of HDTF, wrap it in a big beach towel and throw it in a cooler. It will stay nice and toasty for ya.[p]Mick

• My bad! My bad![p]I meant to say the temperature was 179, not 197![p]So I guess its it the plateue stage? The BGE is at about 210, though I opened the vent up another hair.[p]It has all day to hit 200, so I guess things are going good!

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    Matt,
    You can probably push the dome temp up to 250 to finish it. It takes a LONG time to get to 200 at 210 dome since your grid temp is probably somewhat lower (10-30 degrees). Like everyone else said, if you finish early, wrap in foil, towels, put in cooler. I've kept butts piping hot this way for 5+ hours.

• I took it off at 199! It took approximately 19 hours 10 mintutes.[p]The only thing I'm scared about is that I won't have enough for the twelve of 'em. The 8.5 lb butt (with bone) shrank a good bit.[p]Thankfully I've got some smoked sausage I'm gonna serve, plus cole slaw, corn salad, green bean and artichoke salad, baked beans, potato chips, and chocolate chip pie.[p]So I think I'll be alright. Most of 'em won't eat 2 sandwiches.