Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

8 lb turkey breast

Options
giantwing
giantwing Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have any advice?

Comments

• eenie meenie
    Options
    I cooked two 11.5 lb turkey breasts (bone in) on a raised grid with a drip pan underneath, indirect with plate setter at 325 degrees dome temp. I prepped it in a variation of Mad Max by seasoning it with salt and pepper and placing a compound butter with herbs underneath the skin). I basted it occasionally. I cooked until the poultry was 160 degrees (about 3 hours). It took approximately 15 minutes per pound. I had previously made a stock from necks, wings, and backs in order to have plenty of gravy and added the defatted drippings to the gravy. Hope this helps.
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    Here's what I like to do for turkey breasts:

Apple wood Smoked Turkey Breast

Ingredients

* 1 Turkey breast fresh, bone in
    * 1/2 cup Salt
    * 5-6 bay leaves
    * 2 T whole peppercorns
    * 1 cup Maple syrup
    * 1/2 ea Onion halved (i.e. 2 quarters)
    * 1 ea Carrot halved
    * 1 ea Lemon pierced w/ fork 4-6 times
    * 3 sprigs Thyme fresh
    * 1 1/2 tablespoon Poultry seasoning
    * Apple wood chips

Instructions

Place turkey breast in a stock pot (Note: This should be a full, bone in turkey breast). Add enough water to cover, salt, peppercorns, bay leaves and maple syrup to make the brine. Cover and place under refrigeration for 36 to 48 hours.

Take the breast out and rinse it under cold water very thoroughly. Pat dry. Spritz the outside of the breast with a light coating of olive oil. Season with Poultry Perfect Rub (From the book Smoke and Spice by Cheryl & Bill Jamison) for best results or you can just make a simple rub of salt, pepper, and commercially available poultry seasoning. Stuff the cavity of the breast with the onion, thyme, lemon, and carrot. This time I was out of carrot so I used a quartered Granny Smith apple and that worked great too.

Smoke the bird at 225f (grate level temperature) until it hits 160 degrees internal (about 1 hour a pound at this temp). On a large Big Green Egg, this was a dome temp of 250f and I had about a cup of apple wood chips mixed in with the lump coal. I took care to make sure the wood was evenly distributed throughout the coal. If you just toss it on top, it will all burn off at the beginning instead of a long, even smoke.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    I forgot to add that I placed the turkey breasts over a bed of celery, carrots, onion, and fennel.