Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thought Grate was covered!

Buckethead
Buckethead Posts: 285
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I thought all was covered with the exception of gaskets? After 5 1/2 years my grate was in three pieces I replaced today. They said it wasn't covered. I also sent them a picture of my cracked fire box and I did get a work-order to replace that. Am I wrong?
Doug

Comments

•  
    I would need to go back and read the warranty but I have always thought the warranty is for the ceramics.

GG
  • the fire grate is not excluded here as far as i can see.

only the gaskets and thermometer arenot covered according to this warranty.

read it a few times to make sure.

>>Click-it: BGE WArranty Online
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    If you're referring to the grate the lump sit's on, mine was replace with the newer metal ones on all 4.

Some call the grate (grid) and the grid (grate)

Good Luck,
    Bordello
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    As far as I can tell, everything is covered (lifetime) except gaskets, temp gauge and rusted out external parts (nest, bands, etc). Metal bands are 5 years only and band rust is not covered.

I'm on my third CI grid, but so far, the fire grate is, well, great. Was told by BGE that they were aware of the too frequent failings of the grate, but they didn't seem to have heard much about the CI grid failures.

So call 'em and ask. Better yet, email them so you have a response you can show your dealer.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Thanks for that GG. Seems practically everyone wants to call the grid, grate.
    The grate is covered. If a dealer is saying otherwise, he is either mistaken or dishonest.
  • Carolina Q
    Bacchus wrote:
    Thanks for that GG. Seems practically everyone wants to call the grid, grate.

That's because, before we got eggs, the grid WAS the grate. Weber, for example, calls them "cooking grates" and "charcoal grates". Not a grid in sight. It's all so confusing! :lol::lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Absolutely covered under warranty. Don't let 'em weasel out of replacing it! I just picked up two of them for my large and small less than two hours ago......
  • Bordello
    :laugh:

For most of us. :lol:

Hope yer having a good weekend GG.

Bordello
  • Bordello
    :(
    After reading that I'm goin to have another drink. :woohoo:

God Bless you for posting. :whistle: :woohoo:

Bordello
  • Carolina Q
    Glad to help. Cheers! :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Sodak
    Sodak Posts: 57
    I use the grate out of a Weber Smokey Joe in the bottom of my large. I seem to get better air flow when using my smaller busted up chunks of lump.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    But this is a Big Green Egg Forum, not Weber. And as Grandpa so graciously pointed out, the grate is what the lump sits on. Think of a fireplace grate. The Grid is what is cooked upon. If a Weber "grate" is inserted into a BGE, it becomes a grid. Unless it is the thing in the bottom of a weber that the briquettes sit on, and who knows what they call it.
    :)
  •  
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: me too.

GG
  •  
    Thanks Bob. If I get enough time before the extended family Christmas Party I will post a picture of "my beauties"... they wore me out today.

Kent
  • My dealer replaced mine, no questions asked. Check again.
  • poolguy
    poolguy Posts: 129
    your grate should be covered. depends on dealer i guess. i have replaed 3 or 4 and BGE always gives me credit for them.find a dealer that will help you then help them by giving them support.

Larry
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    The warranty is not dealer dependent.. However, some dealers aren't educated to what is or isn't covered.

The metal grate that sits in the firebox IS covered. I got my new one from the Tucker Retail store. Is that official enough???
  • thanks to all for your response. I was charged $13.50 and told BGE doesn't cover. The money won't break any of us, but I don't agree with mixed messages that "BGE doesn't cover certain parts". One company, one message.
    Doug
  • you can pay the 13 bucks if you want, but that dealer needs to be educated.

BGE's posted warranty does not exclude the grate. you might want to be magnanimous and pay the price, but that doesn't help the next customer

dealers are often the weakest link in the chain. i don't believe there is any education program. if there is, it isn't working.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    You need to believe the mixed messages. As Jeff said the dealers are the weak point in this. Too many dealers don't want to make the time and expense to get a warranty replacement.

With a good deal of them the BGE is just minor addition to their business. They'd rather sell the 5000 dollar gassers that need to be replaced every few years then to sell a cooker that is warranted for life.
  • could also go to the distributor. most of them actually ARE educated, and they'd be upset if a dealer didn't understand what was covered.

i'd nod politely to the delaer, then call the distriburtor/ again, not so much for the thirteen bucks, but so that we can correct yet another bit of misinformation proffered by a less than with-it dealer
  • poolguy
    poolguy Posts: 129
    I would go to a different dealer, Like I said i have covered 3 or 4 under warranty and have always been paid back from BGE. I sell only the BGE. lots have come and wanted me to sell the gassers and charcoal grills. We stick with the BGE, Because we Luv it.

Merry Christmas to all
  • All metal parts on the BGE have a 5 year warranty.