Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Kobe Beef..really different

mollysharkmollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited 4:55AM in EggHead Forum
Had some genuine Kobe beef last night..the real article. I knew it would be different, but it is so different than I hesitate to compare it with regular beef. I discovered whereas I can do in a 10 oz filet without batting an eye, 6 oz of Kobe was enough to make me stop. I actually had ordered an 8 oz and gave out enough "tastes" to the others at the table that I probably only ate 4-5 and that was plenty. It is soooooo rich that I was almost queasy at the end. I literally could cut it with a fork, it was that tender. Almost like a pate, but not in the least mushy. Don't know if I'd order it again really. I mean it was absolutely delicious and fabulous and cooked perfectly, but don't think it will replace a good aged t-bone in my life.

Any Kobe addicts here?

mShark
·

Comments

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,128
    ill take the aged tbone too, wonder if folks that like tenderloin more than the strip loin would be more apt to want the kobe
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,520
    The closest I've come to Kobe is pictures. Often I'm amazed by how small the portion is. I had supposed that it was because of the cost. From your report, it seems a little like eating a stick of butter. Just a couple of pats are enough.

How was the rest of the meal?
    ·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    I've been buying Kobe ugly steaks(flap meat}and they are outstanding. They aren't really Kobe because they don't come from Japan, but they are from the same strain of cattle, Wagyu. -RP
    ·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    I've had the genuine article a couple times, and I've been lucky enough to have Wagyu beef quite a bit. There is, in my opinion, a succinct yet subtle difference in the two both in quality and unfortunately in price. The only times I've had Kobe steaks I had the ribeye and, like you, found it incredibly rich. The Wagyu is close, but just not quite as rich or tender as genuine Kobe. Maybe the difference is in the preparation. Both my Kobe steaks were ordered at the same restaurant, one that is quite famous and well known as one of the best in the nation.

That said, the Kobe steaks I've had (and once I even indulged in a Kobe burger in Vegas), were not the best I've ever had. The best steak I've ever eaten was a 70 day dry aged prime grade strip.

If I go to a top notch steakhouse and Kobe is on the menu, I will always consider it - but the price generally puts it out of mind rather quickly.
    ·
  • mollysharkmollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Rest of the meal was spectacular, but this restaurant always is. Lonesome Dove in Fort Worth. Tim Love's place. Always great.
    ·