Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

On My Own

Options
WokOnMedium
WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, I'm coming clean. I'm a cheater. A low down cheater.

I have used my DigiQ II for every round of butt I've ever made. I'm a disgrace to the Gold Egger title!

Last April was the last time I cooked one in the cold. When I went out in the morning to check to see how things were coming along my dome temp was down...way way way down.

Upon further inspection I saw a chunk of ice built up outside the bottom vent. I always get some moisture dripping from the bottom vent on long cooks, but that time in addtion to the ice chunk I had a very thin sheet of ice frozen over the fan inside the fan piece. That tiny, thin sheet of ice blocked off all airflow coming into the bottom of the Egg and my fire started to go out.

People have said it couldn't have happened, that its not possible, but I'm telling you...it happened.

So. Right now I am stabilizing the Egg for a DigiQ free butt cook. My first, and I am asking for any tips that will help me sleep tonight.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Make sure that you do NOT adjust the vents when you put the meat in the EGG. The temp will come back up, but it will take a bit longer.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Wigglerod3.jpg

Tip 1. Wiggle your lump before turning in.

Tip 2. Check it in 4 hours.

Tip 3. If your fire does die, move the butt into a 250° oven while you restart and stabilize the Egg.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Bring em on. I cooked a few butts, and briskets sans DigiQ. First recommendation I can offer is to move some place where it doesn't freeze.

St015.jpg
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I use my trusty Maverick and I sleep pretty good. I have never had a flame out at 250*. Not to say it wouldn't happen.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I don't think it is cheating. If the 'toys' are there & you can afford them, why not use them.

Without the q2 (even with the q2) I used a Maverick ET-73 to alert me should one of the temperatures were going the wrong way.

The other way is to take a chance or wake up every 2 or so hours or just trust it will be OK when you wake up. I as many folks have done both.

Personally, I would use the q2. Rotate the fan so ice won't form over the intake.

GG
  • WokOnMedium
    Options
    Thank you guys all suggestions make me feel better...well...except Mike...I called myself a cheater, you, my friend are a smartypants! :woohoo: :P :woohoo:

GG, I may fiddle with ways to set the fan up so that it doesn't happen, but I just can't wrap my head around how to do that right now. It was like when a drop of water came to the bottom the fan turned it into mist and the mist just froze in a sheet on the inside of the damper hole. I had to look inside the tube to see it.

I appreciate all your help. Tomorrow is gonna be a lovely pork filled party. Thank you all very much!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Have confidence in what you know and trust that. Stabilize and don't adjust after. I usually check every 2 to 3 hours. you can do it!!! :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Staci,

I have digi q's but really never use them. Build the fire, don't dump the lump in but arrange it for good airflow. I have taken to putting a floor fan a few feet in front of the egg on low speed. What everybody else said too.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WokOnMedium
    Options
    You are right. Trust the Egg, that will be my mantra.
  • WokOnMedium
    Options
    A dang floor fan sure as heck won't clog with ice! I do that. Thanks Little Steven.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Staci,

I only do the fan if the wind chill is less than 20* below ambient;)
    Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WokOnMedium
    Options
    Thank you for the distinction. Not that cold today. THANK GOODNESS!!!! I'm holding steady. I think I'm gonna be alright. Thank you again all.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Steven that is what has kept me from buying up to this point. If I had one would I use it? Except when starting out and cooking at too low of a temp (210-225) I have never had a problem loosing my fire. Thankfully affordability isn't a problem. I just have a hard time justifying the need for one. I guess I have just gotten into such a comfort zone with the manual settings. I would like to play with one some day though. :)
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    How is everything working out so far?