Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beans, cornbread, and pork chops - yum

Options
troutman
troutman Posts: 498
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Felt like it was time for some comfort food so I made beans, cornbread, and pork chops yesterday.

First I soaked some pintos and black beans for a day, then onto to stove top to start the simmer while I prepared the goods.

Beans_Cornbread_Dec_2009003.jpg

Followed thirdeye's recipe except I added two jalapeno's off my almost-done plants, plus some chipotle powder instead of the chili powder. Here are the goods:

Beans_Cornbread_Dec_2009002.jpg

Added a couple of ham hocks that I had smoked a month ago and frozen. Onto the egg for about three hours at 325 or so with a couple of big chunks of pecan:

Beans_Cornbread_Dec_2009005.jpg

Next I followed the recipe (thanks Village Idiot) in this link:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=777251&catid=1

and made this:

Beans_Cornbread_Dec_2009007.jpg

I had two pork chops that I bought at a local farmers market from these guys:

http://porkonafork.com/home/

The taste of their chops is so different from the chops I buy in the grocery stores here that you would think you were eating two different cuts of meat. If you ever get the chance to buy fresh, minimally process pork try it.

The chops, with fresh grated pepper and some JH Pecan Rub:

Beans_Cornbread_Dec_2009008.jpg

Cooked until they were about 145 internal, then rested for five minutes. Everything ready to go, time to release the hounds:

Beans_Cornbread_Dec_2009009.jpg

Dinner was a lot better than good. Thanks for watching.

Comments