Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Forum Security Survey

Options
Fidel
Fidel Posts: 10,172
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Of my own volition and without the knowledge or approval of the site creators and webmasters I have created a quick survey off the site for forum members to express their opinions on whether or not the site should require registration prior to posting, whether there should be moderators, and for suggestions on who the moderators should be.

Feel free to answer or not. This is done completely away from this forum and all answers will be completely anonymous.

I'll let the survey run a few days and will post the results here. I don't know if it will do any good, but at least we can let the moderators/webmasters know how the general users feel about this after we have been on this new format a couple years and anonymous posters have begun to become a problem again.

Anyway, if you want to participate, click here:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8NPCTZG

Comments

• Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Good idea Fidel. I have voted. No need to discuss preferences here...we've been over that time and again. But it will be good to get some numbers on members' preferences.
  • Fidel
    Options
    I should have been more clear. Even as the survey creator I cannot see who voted or how you voted. It is completely anonymous and it should be limited to one vote per person.

All I can see is how many people have voted and what the results are for each question.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Great idea and thanks for taking the time to set it up.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Rod,

Good idea. This would work for throwdown voting as well.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Misippi Egger
    Options
    I think this is a great idea - I have expressed my anonymous vote.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Thanks Fidel! I remember this battle before....it will be interesting to see how the numbers fall out this time. :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,772
    Options
    it would really sway my vote if they could find a way to make registration easier, smoother. still seeing eggers unable to register from time to time.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Big George's BBQ
    Options
    Good idea Thanks
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Depending on email verification in this world of Spam filters is going to be tough to make easy. I had to white-list the forum email address to get forum email.

They are using Captcha for the anonymous post why not use it for the registration.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,772
    Options
    maybe you or someone could help them somehow with it, gotta get that troll off yer back. a feature that i like on another forum is a hidden forum that is only available to registered users with a certian post count.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I have offered my help several times only to be placated.

They want my help they will have to ask me this time..
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Good idea. Can you post the how the vote is tolling?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Fidel
    Options
    I can Mickey, but won't until the survey ends. Keeps from influencing the votes.

So far there have been about 35 responses. I'll wait until there are a couple hundred before posting results. That should be a sufficient sample size to show a clear trend in preferences.
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    fishlessman wrote:
    it would really sway my vote if they could find a way to make registration easier, smoother. still seeing eggers unable to register from time to time.

This is my only issue with forced registration. It took me almost two years before the process was complete. I always got an email informing me the super-secret code needed to complete the process would be forthcoming but it would never arrive. During this time I was still able to ask for and to receive advice on BGE cooking.
    People cowardly attacking members, as was done the other night, while hiding as a "visitor" is enough to make me think it might still be best to enforce registration. It is sad that little punks can mess things up for others to this degree. Hopefully this will not continue.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I like the idea of requiring registration, and disallowing anomynous posts, but do not like the idea of giving selected forum members the right to edit or remove posts that he/she finds unpleasant.

I completed the survery also.

Thanks for putting this together Rod. Good Idea.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Good idea. I listed several that I wouldn't mind having "THE POWER". Maybe it could be rotated or have a half dozen.
  • i've always thought there should be three or four mods. WMK can't be here all the time. so you'd need three or four level headed people, not predisposed to flights of pique, or given to drinking heavily after 4 pm.

sadly, that pretty much eliminates most of the forum, and is likely why it hasn't been implemented already.

nature boy, wood doggies... they are level headed, but not here as much as they used to be.

fishless never gets involved in stuff, and would be a good choice, but he 1.) drinks heavily after 4pm and 2.) skips town during fishing season which 3.) is all the time for him
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    Options
    Smart move. Thanks Fidel. I voted even though my post count is small (sniff).
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Here's an idea for handling those pain-in-the arss peepses.

Mayve we can set up a committee that will serve as "Regulators" who have the same authority as the gunfighters of the old west. When a no-good comes along we just sic the Regulators on his arss and be done with it.

There might be a little 'rub' among those who don't take kindly to real life action figures taking care of business, but I don't care. It might solve the problem and the majority would be happy. That's the ultimate goal anyway.

Spring "Pain Pain Go Away" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Good idea Fidel . . . and I assume the little light blub lit up after some of those eggnogs from the other night! :lol::lol:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Thanks, Rod, for doing this. I have been extremely disappointed at recent events and, regardless of how much of a pita registration may be for some, I think it is the only way to go.

I have been a member of other forums where mods were used. One had mods who were out of control - went to their heads, ya know? So I left. The second (same "hobby") was actually formed as a reaction to the first. Many of the same folks - different management and attitude. The mods made it a point to be fair and even handed. We had mods in all time zones too. We even had one from Austria so we were covered for a great percentage of the time. In fact, I WAS one for a year or so. No, that was not me volunteering. To do it well, you have to be willing to spend quite a bit of time online. And you have to read a lot of posts!

I know many of you have been around for awhile, except for stripsteak who has only 100 or so posts :), and I'm just the new kid on the block. But I wanted to offer my perspective. If I was not a member and started poking around the forum and I came across some of the posts from the last couple of days, the LAST thing I would want to do is to sign up in a place where this behavior was allowed to continue.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    I don't know that it is really necessary. Reason being is anyone can setup an email address and register to post whatever. There are plenty of free email services. There doesn't seem to be that many issues
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Disagree on the disallowing anonymous posts, I slithered around here for years before joining, albeit never with troll-like nefarious intent, but the ability to do so eventually led to becoming a member, & I would hate to dissuade good people from joining because they don't want to immediately join the forum before getting to know what its all about.

Agree on the moderators however, with more people able to stomp out the idiots all problems would be more quickly addressed
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • looks like someone got himself a word-a-day calendar as an early christmas present.
    'disallowing' , 'nefarious', 'albeit', 'dissuade'...

what have you done to our zippy?
  • Rib Bones
    Options
    thanks for taking the interest and time to do this. our 9 year old granddaughter loves to read the forum with us. had to really monitor things when she was here this weekend.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    this is what happens when I don't drink beer
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • EggTurner
    Options
    As a rookie I can not overemphasize the value of the forum. I hope that the jerks don't ruin it; I also hope that over-regulating (or setting up an elite forum) doesn't ruin it. Democracy is messy. Maybe ignoring the jerks is the best approach. Thanks for the help all of you give us. I completed the survey and look forward to the results.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Zip....Understand, this is not stopping LURKing....it is stopping the anonymous BS posting from trolls and those with intent to say something they are not willing to post under their "real" handle. It's not as though there is a "fee" for joining. Just my two cents... (and BT's three cents ;) )
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Marc,

What? No beer? I hope you have corrected this unfortunate situation.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON