Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Modified Low & Slow

Options
BigGreenDon
BigGreenDon Posts: 167
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm goinging to be doing a couple butts for a Christmas Eve thing, and although my previous 20 hour cook yielded excellent results -- I'm considering another strategy...

We are told that we should take it very slow and not rush the plateau -- when the connective tissue is turning to gelatin -- but is it OK to speed up the front end of the process a bit?

Last time, the butt went into the egg at about 44F. I figure that if I would have left it out of the fridge for an hour before putting it on the grill, it still would not have been much warmer than 50 or 55F. That is a long way from the 160F plateau.

Do you think it might make sense to start the cook with a dome temp of 325F or so, then once the internal of the butt gets to perhaps 120, start gradually bringing the dome temp DOWN to 225F or so -- thereby not rushing the plateau?
Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,
Don

Comments