Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Cook Grate Large Egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got new Cast Iron cook grate for large Egg as a gift. Has anyone used one yet? It looks like the grate can be used on either side with raised angled edge on one side and flat on the other.[p]It should put great grill marks on steaks.

Comments

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Tiger,
    Where did you get it from...and why cast iron instead of the porcelain?

• Yah where DID you get the grate? I'd love to add one of those to the arsenal.[p]The big advantage of cast iron grates is that they hold heat better than any other material. You'll get the best sear marks of any type of grill including porcelain.
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    The BGE store in Atlanta has the cast iron grates. I think they were $39 and some change if memory serves me correctly. Some dealers may be carrying them, too.[p]Jim
  • Blaze
    Blaze Posts: 32
    Options
    JSlot,
    YUP, $39 & some change. I got one last summer from the BGE store, use it mostly on steaks.[p]Blaze

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    Blaze, Did you season it in any way first? Do you have any rust problems with it? Are you brushing it with olive oil befor you cook or using a non stick spray so the meat doesn't stick? Curious. Joe
  • BunkyRub
    Options
    Tiger,
    Could you describe this cast iron grate a little more? It sounds like a solid piece, meaning no open spaces between the ridges or bars. Is it more like a flat pan? What is the approx. size/round or square? Sorry for all these questions but I am interested as I had an iron grate for my Webber Kettle and it worked really well. It did put really nice marks on steaks, etc.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    There are spaces between the bars. The bars are flat on one side and come down to a point on the other. If you could view them from the end, they would look like a triangle.[p]Jim
  • Love Handles
    Options
    Blaze,
    I bet that grate is a winner. I'm going to check into one. Do you know if they make one for a small also. By the way, thats a cool handle you use. I have a 10 year old grandson and his name is BLAZE. I also have grandaughters named Dakota, Raven, Autumn and Skye. Pretty creative kids I have Huh? See-Yaa

• Blaze
    Options
    LoveHandles,[p]It is handy although they are not making them for a small yet. Mike, at BGE was'nt sure if that would be a forthcoming item for the small or not. At least as of a couple of months ago when I went up to get the small to compliment my large that was the latest news.[p]Blaze, is actually my yellow lab's name, Tobosofkee Creek's Blaze. He's actually more white, but technically it's a yellow. That is a seriously cool name for a boy though. I love the names for your grandaughters, Dakota or Madison were actually my two picks if my son had been a little girl.[p]Later,[p]Blaze
  • Blaze
    Options
    Smokin Joe,[p]*There are no instructions that say do this, just habit on my part.* I did wash the grate under hot water, dried, rubbed down with bacon grease on a paper towel, and tossed in the oven for thirty minutes or so @ around 400*. I usually try to scrub it off and wipe it down after I finish cooking on it as it's always easier to do when the cast iron is still hot. [p]It seems to me by doing this and rubbing it down after each use, the grate retains some pretty durn good non-stick qualities.[p]Later,[p]Blaze
  • haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    Options
    Blaze,
    Here is what I found when I bought all my cast iron cook ware.
    Did you bake it in the egg? [p]Caring and Using Cast Iron [p]Seasoning [p]When you season cast iron, you are embedding grease or oil in the pores of the cookware. Without proper seasoning, cast iron will rust when exposed to moisture or water. To season your cookware, first warm your cast iron, then rub a thin layer of shortening, corn oil, olive oil, or the oil that you prefer all over the the surface of the pan, inside and out. Warming the cast iron opens the pores. Lay the pan upside down inside a 350 degree oven. Most cookware manufacturers suggest heating the pan for one hour, while some cooks suggest twice that for just the right amount of seasoning. The shortening or oils will turn in to a non-sticky, hard coating. Allow the pan to cool overnight as it will be quite hot. Some cooks recommend repeating this process a couple of times. Seasoning should be repeated after each use of the cookware.
    [p]Note: Acidic foods, such as tomatoes, can deteriorate the seasoned coating of your pots and pans.
    [p]Remember that the potjies are Pre-Seasoned when you buy them from us.
    Rinse with boiling water before use.
    Cleaning the pot - Fill inside of the pot with warm water, let soak and then scour clean. Always dry the pot over a heat source.
    Lightly grease with either olive or vegetable oil. Leave a dry paper towel inside to absorb moisture

• Love Handles
    Options
    Blaze,
    Small world, I've got a yellow lab male named Murphy and a chocolate female named Chloe who just had 6 puppies for the first time about 10 days ago, all choclolates. See-Yaa

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    Blaze,
    Thanks for the info! Joe

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    haywyre,
    I have a cast iron fry pan that I keep seasoned so I do understand the process! Thanks for the info! Joe

• Tiger,[p]Use the new grate today. Wow, what a great sear ! The grate with a baked in coating(Powder Coat) and with stood the high heat.[p]Great Gift for the Egger who wants all the toys.