Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pork Spare Ribs

toothpicktoothpick Posts: 154
edited 6:54AM in EggHead Forum
Did my first spare ribs on Sunday. Just used brown sugar and salt for the rub and then slathered on some Sweet Baby Ray's Vidalia Onion sauce. After about 6 hours at 225 we just started eating them right off the
Egg, so we decided to pull the rest off and eat up with some slaw and beans. A big thank you to MountainGriller for his help! I always forget to take photos of the food on the plate. I seem to have other things on my mind . . .

DSC_7599.jpg

DSC_7604-1.jpg

DSC_7609.jpg

[img size=150][/img]

Comments

• The ribs were outstanding! I hope if I hang around toothpick long enough, I will learn something
  • Wow, look how clean and drip free that gasket is. That'll change over time:)

Your ribs look nice! Spare ribs are my favorites.
    Knoxville, TN
  • I'm working on breaking everything in! Thanks, they were mighty tasty. I didn't do anything like foil wrapping, but I understand that helps them "fall off the bone" better. Any suggestions?
  • I used to foil mine but lately have found I do just as good without foil. Foil does make them tender because they steam for a while but it's easy to overcook them that way.

I do like to trim my spares St Louis style. It doesn't make them taste better, that's just a preference.

Suggestions? HAVE FUN! Cook a lot and make mistakes! That's half of the fun:)
    Knoxville, TN
  • Thanks for the tips! Great blog.
  • Very nice
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Toothpick,

Good job! I love cooking spare ribs just as much as I love eating them. :P

I got BBQ sauce on my gasket cooking ribs and never cleaned it off. Well after the cook was over and the egg cooled down I lifted the lid and the the gaskets were stuck together. Well I had lifted the dome so much I stretched the gaskets and had to replace them. Two lessons in one day was my reword. Tim :ohmy:
  • Oh man. Thanks for the valuable lesson there. I love this forum for that reason alone.