Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crab Cake question

Options
egger66
egger66 Posts: 385
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My local seafood market has really good crabcakes but I've never cooked them on the egg and I want to give it a try. Any suggestions on setup/temp/cooking times?
Thanks

Comments

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Try it in a preheated cast iron skillet with some butter or oil, at 350 or so til brown on both sides.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Do what Faith said. From what I've seen that lady can cook.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Wow, thanks Mike.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    Options
    Thanks, I cant wait to try it!!
  • if you go to the recipe section on the dizzy pig site you can see how i do crab cakes on the egg .. . i actually grill them direct at around 425 on an oiled fish grid. . . works great. ...you just have to be careful with the 'flip' that they don't fall apart. ..however, with store brought ones, they probably have more filler than if you made them yourself so they will probably hold together just fine. . .
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I love seafood cakes!!! Crab and salmon are our favorites and are what I do most often!!
    I have done them in a hot CI pan and even in the oven on a baking sheet, but I like the cakes best when done on the Egg in a “grilling basket” of sorts.
    I’m thinking that the contraption is designed for fish and / or veggies, being a wire basket (able to be enclosed on both sides) that will hold contents well because of its small mesh.
    I have to admit, I have really only used it for seafood cakes thus far and it has worked well.
    I do them direct, but on my raised rig, at 400 F. for about 5 minutes per side.
    I will take liberty, to also add a recipe to the thread, for a great sauce that I make for salmon cakes…
    Folks really love this sauce when served with my salmon cakes! It has become a given that the two go hand in hand.

Dijon Mustard Sauce
    Chez Jerold / Dad's Kitchen
    From JB with inspiration from Julia Child

Serves 6 Lg. seafood cakes as a topping

2 C. cream
    1 T. Worcestershire
    3 T. Dijon mustard
    4 t. (1-1/3 T.) rubbed, dry basil or 2 T. finely minced, fresh basil
    1/4 t. each, salt and fresh ground pepper (or to taste)

1)) Mix all ingredients together in a heavy sauce pan stirring and heating over med. low heat for 20 to 30 minutes, until slightly thickened. Do not boil.

2)) Remove from heat and briskly whisk until thickened somewhat more.
    Keep warm and serve warm, as a dipping or topping.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    dsc02073aLL.jpg

I do fish cakes and crab cakes both. I generally go lighter on the seasonings and cook the crab cakes less, as they are more delicate (texture and flavor wise). Cheffrey on the Minnesota Fishing board inspired me with his recipe for walleye cakes. A cast iron skillet is my choice, they give you an almost perfect color.

fishcakes2.jpg

Walleye Cakes

3 lbs. walleye, perch or other whitefish
    1 large carrot, shredded
    2 stalk celery, diced
    ½ medium red onion, diced
    1 green onion, diced
    4 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
    1-1/2 cups mayo
    2 tsp Tsunami Spin (or your favorite seasoning, some folks like Old Bay)
    Sea salt (what else)
    Cracked pepper
    Olive oil (for grilling fish)

Grill (or bake) your fish with a little salt, pepper & olive oil. Cool on a rack and break into large pieces. Mix the other ingredients together first, then add the fish. Stir, trying to keep the fish chunky. Form into patties, refrigerate 1 hour. Saute as-is in a little bit of olive oil. Or, sprinkle with cornmeal fish fry (or egg wash & bread crumbs) and sauté in oil.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    cast iron skillet works good, i dont much care for crab cakes but ive made plenty with steamer clams and lobster :) hers a fesh water salmon pie made pretty much the same way as thirdeyes fish cakes, any fresh water trout would work for this as well as the white fish mentioned ;)
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=213861&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    fukahwee maine

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Hi. I am quite pleased with my crabcake recipe, but I've never heard of Salmoncakes (I'm from S. Texas). I don't eat salmon, but my wife does, so if you have a recipe you really like, I'd like to make it and surprise her. And, I'll make your dipping sauce too.

Thanks.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Here is my standard recipe....
    I'm sure the Mrs. will enjoy this!

SALMON CAKES
    Dad's Kitchen
    From JB

Serves 6 or more (making about 18 to 20 cakes or 6 Large burgers)

1 (15 oz.) can of red or pink wild caught salmon, drained
    3 eggs, lightly beaten
    1/2 C. red and / or green Bell peppers, minced
    1/2 C. sweet onion, finely minced
    1 C. bread crumbs
    1 t. minced garlic
    2 t. Dijon mustard
    1 T. prepared horseradish
    1 T. lemon juice
    2 t. lemon zest
    1 t. rosemary, crushed
    1/2 t. each, salt and fresh ground black pepper
    1 T. olive oil (if frying)

!)) Place salmon in a mixing bowl, break into small pieces with a fork. (I also pick through the fish taking out large pieces of skin and the backbone).

2)) Add the beaten eggs and bread crumbs, mixing well. Add the remaining ingredients, again mixing well.

3)) Shape into small 3" cakes/patties, pressing firmly so they will hold together.

4)) Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over med. heat, then fry the patties (or grill at about 400 F.) 4 to 5 minutes on each side, until nicely browned. They are fragile, so don't turn or move them around too much.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Forgive me M&M Potaohead...just avoiding a future question for you.... :blush:

Their recipe sounds absolutely great, and can also be done with fresh cooked or leftover cold salmon. These "cake" type recipes are perfect for leftovers, no question....so perhaps the next time the wife wants some salmon, cook up some extra, and surprise her the next day or two with salmon cakes. (Nice recipe M&M P....sounds great!!!)
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    That’s a BIG for sure LC!!
    I thought about mentioning “left-over” after I posted, even thought of doing an edit, but didn’t…
    Mostly I guess…Because when ever I have fresh salmon, I use it four basic ways:
    In a soup Du’Jour, poached in a sauté’ pan as a “one pot” meal (guess that’s still sort of a soup or stew, but seasoned WAY differently) or better yet, put directly on the grid or a plank in the Egg.
    Problem being...there is never any of it left-over!
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Thanks a lot M/M Potatohead and L.C.,

I like the idea of using leftover salmon rather than the can. The only salmon I ate growing up was the cheapo stuff in a can (where you eat the bones and all). Makes me gag thinking about it.

I've smoked salmon before on the offset pit for my wife. Obviously, she couldn't eat the whole filet, so I have plenty of leftovers.

Thanks for the recipes. I have them printed out.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious