Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

grilled pineapple

Options
Chainsmoker
Chainsmoker Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a whole pineapple and I want to grill some of it. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Ryan [p]Oh yeah, what is going on in FL where people are camping on a river?

Comments

• a stick
    Options
    chainsmoker,[p]I've done fresh pinapple slices drizzled with Kahlua and brown sugar. I laid some foil on the grates to prevent flare ups. The heat carmelized the pineapple nicely. [p]Have fun - a stick
  • Smokin Joe
    Options
    chainsmoker, Funny you should ask... I have a 9 lb butt on right now sitting at 178* (marinated it a day in a polynesian sauce I made from a post on this forum) and I plan on grilling fresh pinepeapple with it for dinner tonight.
    I was going to mix some honey (1/4 cup) and some soy sauce (tablespoon or so) and brush the pineapple and grill (skin on) at 350 for a few minutes per side. Maybe I might just happen to spill a shot of Makers Mark burbon in there too???
    I do like the sound of the kaluha and brown sugar mixture, but I don't have any kaluha in the house right now.
    Joe

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    chainsmoker,[p]Here's the website for the Florida Fest coming up March 12th and 13th at Silver River State Park in Ocala...[p]My understanding is that cabins and campsites are booking fast, so I've updated the website to include some nearby alternate lodging options for anyone who can't get a site at the park....[p]Come on and join the fun...register and let us know what you're cooking! We have a bunch of cookers coming and there are demo's available for purchase at discounted rates.[p]Hope to see you there!
    Tonia

[ul][li]Florida Fest 2004 - March 12th and 13th[/ul]
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    chainsmoker,
    I forget whose recipe it was, but basically you dip the pineapple slices in butter, and then dip them in a mixture of raw sugar, cinnamon, cloves and lime zest. Grill for about 5 minutes per side over a hot fire on a raised grid. I hope someone will post the recipe for you.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Here is the recipe....[p]Tonia
    :~)

[ul][li]Mike O's Pineapple[/ul]
  • Smokin Joe
    Options
    QBabe, Wow! My mind can taste it now. uh, er... something like that???
    I'm thinking that I need to re-think my pineapple whatever tonight... Joe[p]PS: I'm really cornfuged... I just might have to try both :o}>

• chainsmoker,
    If DTM happens by this way he could tell us about a Mexican pork dish with pineapple in it that I have tried. The way I did it and don't know how accurate I was because I didn't have a recipe, was: got some fairly thin sliced pork steaks and made some sauce similar to enchilada sauce and marinated the meat overnight or 24 hrs. made a homemade devise out of a cheap meat fork with the handle taken off of it and attached to a metal rack placed over a drip pan. This set up allowed me to alternate pieces of pork then pineapple and the rod in the middle helped it to stand up. The whole idea is to cook in such a way to have a stack of meat that you take off and slice all around the edge of the pile creating a pile of meat for tacos, etc. It was very good and in the Mexican meat markets here you can buy the meat in the marinade. What I found was that the rod was probably not neccessary on a short stack of meat and that they probably used that setup when cooking a real big stack of meat and that would help take the meat off in one piece and they then could slice around the edges better.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    chainsmoker,
    Mr.Toads pork and pineapple is wonderful.
    Larry

[ul][li]Mr.Toads Pork & Pineapple[/ul]
  • Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    chainsmoker,
    I like to quarter the pineapple leaving the crown intact, grill it then refrig it, and then pour some creme brule on it, sprinkle with sugar and then use our famous mapp torch to carmelize the sugar

• YB,
    Where might one find the recipe for that Toad dish???

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Chet,
    Maybe Mr. Toad will jump in and give us the recipe.
    Larry

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    chainsmoker,
    I usually just slice it aqnd sprinkle with chili powder....something about the chili does something magic....and then top off with vanilla bean ice cream.[p]Mike

• Lawn Ranger,
    Pineapple samiches are amoung my favorite things, especially when I'm too tired to be in the kitchen long. All I usually need is some sliced bread, mayo, cheese to make a meal...I'm going to bet I will find a little more energy next time I go that route to fire up the small and add some chili spices to that pineapple...can't wait...my mind is going wild...what if...you grilled the bread first??? , maybe some romano cheese or blue cheese...

• bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    Options
    Chet,
    yep! white bread and mayo.

• Mike in MN
    Options
    Chet,
    That's the way they serve the meat in the Tacqurias (sp)(taco stands) in Mexico. They stack the marinated meat up on a rotisserie and sear the outside, and then slice off the seared portion (like gyros) and pile it up on a tortilla with a small slice of pineapple, add chopped cilantro, onions and lime and you are good to go. Called Pastors (sp) about $.50 each, 5 would be good for a meal. A couple of cervesas, and life is really good.[p]It also seemed like the meat was stacked around a base of pineapple, and there was always a whole pineapple on top of the stack that they used to slice off that piece that went on your sandwich.[p]Mike in MN (missing Mexico, again)