Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Hanger Steak - how long to marinate

Options
troutman
troutman Posts: 498
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally found my first hanger steaks at an Asian market. They are called Tender Hanging Steak, and were $2.99/lb.

I bought two to cook tomorrow night. I've searched the forum and plan to trim them up and cook them two ways. One I'll roast at about 350 until 130* center, with some rub. The other I plan to butterfly, pound flat, and marinate in some soy, shallots, and other spices. Grill it hot and fast.

How long should I marinate the flat, pounded steak? Any other advice from those of you that have cooked this cut of beef? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I don't have help for you with the hanger steak, but I would like to ask what others "goodies" should I look for at an Asian Market? A fellow I work with told me there are 2 of them in Lincoln, NE, app. 85 miles north of me and if I have something else to shop for then I will be making a trip!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Scott,

Hanger comes out really tender without anything. They have a very rich beefy flavour. Very grainy too so pounding might break them. I'm sure they would be good with a marinade but if you haven't tried them, you may just want to go with salt and pepper. When all the kids are here they dissappear faster than I can cook them and they never get plated.
    Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• like steven said, they are good without marinade, but also great with marinade. .. but keep it simple. .. a little soy sauce and shallotes, or balsamic vinager ... .and you don't have to marinade it for long. ...an hour is fine. ...

as far as cooking. . .whether or not you leave them whole or butcher them up first, hot and fast (in the 500 degree range) is really the only way to go with a hanger. .. .i would neither t-rex them (not thick enough) nor would i do them at 350. . .i see no benefit to going that slow. ...just my opinion here ...
  • Little Steven
    Options
    loco_engr

Some basic pantry items:

light sesame oil
    dark sesame oil
    rice vinegar
    rice wine vinegar
    black bean paste
    black bean sauce
    uncle chen's scirracha
    saigon sciraccha
    **** brand scirracha
    hoisin sauce
    dried shrimp
    fish sauce
    thai sweet chili sauce
    thai hot chili sauce
    katjap manis thick sweet not salty
    teriyaki
    naturally brewed soy sauce
    spring roll sauce
    spring roll paper
    rice noodles
    kaffir lime leaf
    star anise
    five spice
    pad thai sauce
    pho mix
    thai green and red curry

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Dang LS . . .I only have a 1/2 ton pickup :lol:

Thanks for the list though!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Not really that much stuff there. Probably set you back thirty bucks or so but it may be stuff you can't get at a grocery store.

Some of the fruits are incredible, starfruit lycheeand so on. The places I go have great prices and the vegetables are always cheap. I buy 10lb bags of chicken bones fot a buck. The seafood counters can be iffy but if you know how to recognise fresh fish you can get some great deals too. Beef ribs are usually great as well.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Steve,
    I have Fish Sauce. I would like to use it in my cooking. How would I use it ? For grilling ? It has a distinctive flavor.

Thanks.

Gary
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Gary,

It goes in most Oriental mairinades and sauces really well. Spring roll sauce and filling, soups and salad dressings. It is prety strong on it's own but mixed in to stuff it adds a really unique flavour.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    Options
    loco,

We have a bunch of different Asian markets here, and all are great. In general:

- spices - best selection around and dirt cheap (no pun)

- oils

- noodles - many different types

- butcher shop - unique cuts of pork (belly, snout, heart) and standard cuts trimmed differently

- fish - what Steven said

- produce - wonderful fresh unique items, one of our markets must have 30+ types of leafy greens - great prices

- beef - the first beef that I've ever bought are these tender hanging steaks (hangars or hangers here on this forum) - if I'm still posting next week then the beef was safe

Plus, it is fun to visit these markets and just browse around. I've never heard of many of the things they stock, and the fish tanks are pretty cool. I recommend making the trip at least once just to pick up the spices and enjoy the experience.
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    You might find mangosteins as well, if they are good they are very very good, maybe the best fruit there is.

Doug
  • sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258
    Options
    Steve, you forgot to put lemongrass on that list.
    Try using fish sauce, maybe tablespoon or so in your next pot of spaghetti sauce. Give that umani (sp?) flavoring. You don't know what it is, but it's something that makes a nice flavor. Three Crabs and Squid brands I like the most. Three Crabs for sauces and curries, Squid for cold dipping sauces.
    If you google Vietnamese recipes you'll see it used a lot. Smells horrible but tastes wonderful.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Sharon,

I had a list made and then hit the control button and it went into cyberspace. We get lemongrass and other ingredients in the grocery stores all the same.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258
    Options
    In these parts it is so much cheaper in the Asian Markets.