Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hi Temp Cleaning Burn Question

Grand Oeuf Vert
Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My egg is getting pretty ugly on the inside. Was thinking I'd fire it up tomorrow for cleaning burn. I never done this. Other than a bump of lump, wide open burn at 700 is there anything else I need to do? Do I just let it go until the lump burns out? Can I put my DW and other eggcessories in there and clean them all?
Please advise. Thanks.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    i dont have gaskets so high temp burnoff is fine for me, an extended hot cook will melt those origional gaskets. the daisy is also painted, the gunk melts off usually if you put it in an egg at shutdown, but if you try a hot burn, the daisy will later rust if you dont protect it somehow.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I've done the high temp burn... but not at 700

500-600 is fine.

I put everything inside, and only have about 1/2 the firebox full. It only needs to "burn" for a few hours (mine went for about 3 hours.

wide open on top, and just the screen closed for me.

all the gunk on the dfmt burned off - and my paint is still in tact.

you'll know its done when the temp drops about 100 degrees - then you can open the egg and hopefully those gaskets haven't melted!

Cheers
  • wide open will give you 1000 degrees and don't do that.. i did and it was ugly and i burnt the dmft clean and it did rust like fishless said.
    700 max and if needed coat the dmft with crisco/shortening after so it does not rust,
    when done rub the inside of the dome with a ball of foil to get rid of the ash..
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    I did a high temp burn off last week and totally crisped my gaskets, NBD as they had about had it anyway. Just replaced them with a Rutland and getting a great seal. May do it again in 3 yrs or so.
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    May I ask WHY would we wnat to clean the inside? I guess I am making it to simple but why would we want a clean interior to the egg?
    My egg is about 2 years old and when clean ash by taking out the insid epeices there is no gunk and the bottom area is clean. I don't mind the dome and higher up in the bottom being black.
    Maybe a discussion thread on to why we feel we need to do a hightemp clean?
    E
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    really depends on how your using the egg, after a summer of straight low and slow chicken thigh cooks ive had the black interior start to peel like tar paper and flake down onto other cooks. big one to two inch sized flakes landing in your brunswick stew isnt very appetizing ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SubVet
    SubVet Posts: 12
    I haven't "cleaned" mine other than hitting the interior with a wire brush when I do a "major" cleanout. Have not had any flaking problems but then I do use all temperature ranges regularly so that might help keep the particulate down.