Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Pitmasters Episode 1

Options
2»

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Options
    GG, it's on The Learning Channel and my DVR listing shows it running again on Sunday at noon CST, Monday at 9:00pm CST and Tuesday at midnight CST.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Thank you.

Kent
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    I agree about Mixon...he's apparently a great barbecuer (lighter fluid???), but his attitude and mouth are very off-putting. I'm wondering if he's cast in all these for that reason, as a guy the viewers love to hate, kinda like that gal Omarosa on "The Apprentice" a few years back. Given the generally happy reaction the other contestants had when Mixon won, I wouldn't discount the possibility that the show's producers instruct him to be that way to generate controversy.

On the whole, I enjoyed the show.
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Options
    Hi Jeffersonian

My 2 cents is that was all for show, I personally
    met mr Mixon at MIM in 2008, he actually came over to me and wife and started talking to us about bbqing,
    was nothin like you saw on TV, was down to earth,
    a great ambassador of bbq, was a joy to talk to him.
    Tv people probably had to spice it up. even though he is a awesome cook, I would never use lighter fluid either, ya gotta make sure it is burned off or else.
    What was funny was watching the so called guru Paul
    turn in burnt chicken. this must be a put on also just to spice the show up. Loved the episode though

PS goes to show you that even with a cheaper cooker
    like slap ya daddy had it works if know what your doing.
    Whats the old saying, its the Indian and not the arrow, LOL BullyC
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    In the early to mid 90's I fished on one of the professional bass circuits. It was not that uncommon for some pond or club fisherman to think he was the secong coming and pay the $1,200 to $1,500 entry fee to fish against the pros. Some did it just so they can say they fished the pro circuit. They pay to put it on their resume. So I have no doubt that it's possible for somebody to enter one of those competitions while being totally clueless.
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    I was at that class and he put his butts on late morning and we were eating them around 4pm. He injects them until they're almost double the size which he said almost steams the meat from the inside. He had them exposed for about an hour or so and then foiled them at 350 degrees. He said he feels that the longer that meat is exposed to heat the more it dries out.
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Options
    Hey celtic wolf
    I agree with you. Why would they have top pitmasters on and have a guy, Paul, look like he did not know or care what he was doing. Kind of making a mockery out of it.
    dont get that one. take care BullyC

PS that chicken looked Horrible
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    bullyc wrote:
    Why would they have top pitmasters on and have a guy, Paul, look like he did not know or care what he was doing. Kind of making a mockery out of it.
    dont get that one. take care BullyC

PS that chicken looked Horrible

I think the guy is a metaphor for the viewer. Someone interested in cooking or barbecue, but not familiar with the intricacies of competition. Through him, the viewer will grow from being a novice (or the underdog) to pitmastering the comp scene by the end; no doubt with some competition success to show how raw talent, once harnessed, can bring success.

Mark
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Me MUST CONCUR!!! :)
  • Hoss
    Options
    You did'nt miss anything!Pottymouth,trash talk and BullShi$$.There is not an egger on here that could'nt spank anyone of the featured personalities on the show.Even newbies that can't lite a fire! ;)
  • Hoss
    Options
  • Hoss
    Options
  • Hoss
    Options
    I agree,Arnold Palmer could putt with a pine stick!Eggs are great,I love mine.BUT.....nevermind!
  • Clam
    Clam Posts: 117
    Options
    I'll take a look at it Sunday, at my folks house. No extra channels here- only basic,basic cable.

I hope its not all about bad talking each other ( amongst friends?), or foul language, (gee!, that is sure to impress me).

Sounds like another reason we don't watch much tv.
  • Wilby
    Wilby Posts: 155
    Options
    I also enjoyed the first episode. I thought there were some tasty morsels presented. I am not sure about how much arrogance is real verses set up for the camera. I will watch a few more episodes and see how it goes.