Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Egged All Afternoon

FairalbionFairalbion Posts: 139
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday I fired my large BGE at about 11:30 a.m. with a mix of old & fresh BGE brand lump, filled up to just below the top of the fire box. I then cooked some chicken breasts @ 350°; this took about 20 minutes.[p]I then shut down the dampers to a hair's breadth aperture and let it burn slowly at between 225-250° until 4:00 p.m. when I needed it again to smoke some salmon. For this I stirred in some alder chips and let it run (again at around 250°) until the salmon was cooked. This took until about 5:30 p.m. The salmon will be eaten today.[p]Finally I opened up the dampers and let her rip to about 750° to sear some filet steaks for dinner. Following the (now for me) standard method, I brought it down to 400° over 20 mins while the steaks rested and then cooked them until they were med rare.[p]So the egg was running about 7 hours on a not-very-large load of lump and I cooked three separate dishes. There is still about 1/4 firebox full of charcoal in the thing. Amazing.