Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yes, Frank, It DOES Snow in the Desert

Desert Oasis Woman
Desert Oasis Woman Posts: 5,604
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
:P and I hear South Texas was a little wet and cold, too ;)

This morning -- brrrr -- good thing the heat pump got repaired Monday :side:

PC010499.jpg

Just had to keep up the outside furnace B) so Ku could make some 2 week old whole wheat bucket bread goodies :woohoo:

PC010501.jpg

PC010505.jpg

PC010508.jpg

can you guess what tomorrow's Egged Dinner will be :whistle:

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    :ohmy: Two week old bucket bread??? :huh: PLEASE,Tell me more!!! :woohoo:
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Bread and za look awesome!!
    Some questions swirling around my head for you.
    Whay are those kids so far from the crib? Another, and next to the trash?
    Ok, one more. No shovel?
    Kay uno more, are you guys in shorts back n forth? :);)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Ku's been using Hertzberg & Francois (2007) Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day since early Spring. He recently found their new one, Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day (2009), and made the Master Whole Wheat recipe (mostly WW) almost 2 weeks ago. Usually Whole Wheat dough is tough, but this had sat long enough to be extremely soft and piable :woohoo: Since we are at 3500 feet, he adjusted the recipe for high altitude and the added time resting in the fridge worked out great B)
    Basically, with both books, you make a wet dough in a 6 Qt bucket, let it rise, then refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. Take out what you need when you need it, let it rest a short while, and, walla! Instant Homemade Breads!

No kneading or anything too taxing involved at all :woohoo:
  • cookn biker
    Good info on the books and process!! Thanks Kari.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I LOVE it!!!Thanks!Looks scrumptous!!! ;)
  • shorts, NO, we "un-acclimated" several years ago :woohoo: Even wore my UGGS today :lol:

I shoveled and pulled the baby under the cover so I wouldn't have to walk on refrozen melted snow and slip and hurt myself or the pizza! New cover for that area on side of house....saving pennies to install :blink: .

Shovel??? Use the old grain scoop! (Used it many years in WYOMING.) It was against the bamboo facade in yesterday's and today's morning pics, and I placed it on the concrete block wall near the corner before moving the Medium....it works great as a doggie deposit scoop, BTW :whistle:

Main garbage area in alley. Use those for interim deposits and scooping leaves from the pool, cleaning pool filters (my poolboy does all that, you know ;) )

You will see when you come down for some R&R B)
  • cookn biker
    yes, yes I will.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Whoa! Looks cold to me. EVERYONE - GET IN THE HOT TUB B)
  • :laugh: come on in, the water's nice at 102F B)
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Kari, please keep that cold crap your way! -RP
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    The food looks great,the weather not so much,it got down to 62 here and the kids wanted soup for dinner.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Hey DOW, I just vacuum sealed 40 lbs. of fire roasted peppers so if you need any in OKC this year just let me know. Of course I hear that you may be in Iron Chef again so let me know if there is anything else you might need!

I have a 100% history where the chef I support wins the event! (yes, it's only once so far)

Bruce
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Great looking breads and pie but please keep that white stuff there! However not much better hear in S. Ark. in low 40's and rain at 3:00 AM. :(
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Kari I'm calling you The Polar Express Woman today.....brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........don't need that white stuff around here..... ;) loved the bread..
  • PLEASE send some of that cold air here!!! Central Fl will be 85 degrees today and I'm ready to have a change in seasons!!!
  • Like the snow! :) The bread looks great.....now I'll have to purchase another bread book! I ilke the idea of a supple whole wheat dough that you keep around for a fresh loaf.
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    I love the two round loaves in the black pans - can you tell me more about the pans themselves?

I have both the ABin5 and the HBin5 books - do try the pumpkin pie brioche from the Healthy Bread book while it's still fall. It makes incredible cinnamon swirl bread in a loaf pan and cinnamon rolls (I used Alton Brown's Overnight Cinnamon Roll filling and icing, about 2 3/4 to 3 pounds of brioche dough for 12 cinnamon rolls in a 9 x 13 pan).
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • :woohoo: Big Daddy, those green, fire roasted peppers from your local organic guy were wonderful!! Would love to have some more at the OKC Eggfest, thanks.

Hey, I got roped into that Iron Chef thing once, just like you. But it was sure fun :silly:

Little Brother Mikey says we can only do it once...But then he and Filley and all the other winners will participate in the Grand Championship Iron Chef Cookoff in 2011 -- Now that will be a competion to behold :evil:
  • Michelle,
    Thanks for the lead to the Pumpkin Pie Broiche!
    The small pans are Lodge. Had seen the small oval au gratin pans both CookinBiker and CarWashMike have posted on this forum and was looking for them, plus the 10" square griddle. Found both in New Brunfels, but decided on the round version instead. There was also a square variety! They are preseasoned, so we just rinsed and used on top of the pizza stone since that's how the Medium was set up last night. Cooked some sliced Hot Italian Sausage in one (used on Pizza!), then but the hamburger buns in after Pizza done. Thems gonna be some mighty big burgers :woohoo:
  • :lol: Sure, Randy, I'll do that!! :whistle:
  • Looks like some rain is headed your way -- trade ya!
  • Morning Rebecca,
    If you like snow, you ought to check out Ripnem's Ice Fest B)
    I think the dough was so supple because it had sat for so long and the whole wheat had finally reached full saturation :blink: .
    When freshly made, it was much firmer and didn't rise nearly as well...hmmm...maybe we need a beer and bread fridge to keep a nice variety of doughs at different stages...
    Help, Princess Jana, I need your diet plan, QUICK :silly:
  • Nice pics DOW
    I lke the bread..cast iron.Thanks for the book references.