Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump, where do you buy it?

Options
Pa_BBQ
Pa_BBQ Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My nearest BGE store that stocks any eggcessories is almost 2 hours away, so looking for places to buy lump. I searched the forums and see where many buy it at walmart, I have never seen it there, may be because I only went for the kingsford briquets and did not look around. Could be because I am from Pa and no on up here BBQ'a :)

What places have you found Lump that I may want to check out, or do you order online?

Is BGE brand the best, going to look at the Whiz sight some more and see what I can learn there.
Large BGE
Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I use Royal Oak from Walmart. -RP
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Where in PA are you?? Hubbies family is from northern Pa, Wellsboro. we cook all winter up here in Maine and do have to stock up and plan in advance a little. You might also want to see if there are other eggers near you to go in on a pallet of Wicked Good Lump. that is what we do every spring and it works out great for us. love their lump, slow to light compared to some but burns hot and clean with little ash at all and a clean smoke for baked goods and breads. it is more of a white ash too. check also with any area hardware stores our local one in our tiny town has it and it is just out back during the winter months.
  • uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    Options
    Wallyworlds around here (Southeatern PA) only seem to stock Royal Oak during the "Barbecue Season." Most people on this forum haven't been told there is such a thing as "Barbecue Season," so please don't clue them in; they might stop posting those wonderful pics and recipes of their cooks. I have been building a stash of lump which consists of some stuff from Wegman's (reportedly packaged by Royal Oak), some Restaurant brand from Fred's, and recently hit two different Ace Hardware stores, where I bought a bag of Cowboy lump from one, and a bag of Frontier lump from the other. So, try your local Ace Hardwares. Home Depot and Lowes also stock some lump, not sure what brands. Shipping costs usually make online ordering too expensive.

Enjoy your cooks. It's a whole new world out there with an Egg.

Uglydog
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    I get mine from a farmer's co-op and restaurant supply places.
  • Sooner Egg
    Options
    Royal Oak from Wal Mart, Ozark Oak from a local grocer and Wicked Good from a group buy
  • Hatch
    Hatch Posts: 149
    Options
    We have lump here in the shop if you are close.
    We carry Humphreys and Wicked Good in 20# bags.

Kenny

The BBQ Guru
    357 Ivyland Rd.
    Warminster Pa. 18974
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Green Wise from Publix Food stores near me. I don't if you have them by you. It is realy Royal Oak. Tim
  • stripedbass
    Options
    the restaurant store in bensalem has cowboy in #20 bags.bbq guru in southampton has wicked good.i live in philadelphia,and this is two source i use.
    fred's bbq in reading has a very good selection of charcoal.
  • Jersey Doug
    Options
    The regular sources here in NJ don't stock lump once they start putting the stuff out for Merry Thanksgivoween. I bought the last 10 bags of lump at our local Wegmans a couple of weeks ago. The local BGE dealer stocks BGE and Wicked Good lump year round.
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    royal oak from wmt. kroger has lump also .cowboy lump at home depot.
  • Wal-Mart if I'm out there, it's about 12 miles from here.

Whole Food, believe it or not. Price per pound is cheaper than Wal-Mart and the quality is as good. The bags are smaller, if that matters.
  • MJF24
    MJF24 Posts: 146
    Options
    Even with the shipping costs, buying Wicked Good online is not more expensive than buying BGE lump from my local dealer. It comes to about $23 for a 22 pound bag shipped to Virginia. Obviously that is much more than RO or Cowboy, but if you can't find those or don't like them, Wicked Good with shipping is still a decent option.

http://miva.mainehost.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=wicked&Category_Code=bl
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hi Pa_BBQ,

If all else fails you can call Royal Oak @ (678) 461-3200 and ask them who carries their lump in your area. They sell under a number of brand names.

If you have any Hispanic markets you might check them. I found one down here that carries Viva Pancho Mesquite Charcoal and find it a nice change up once in a while. Takes a little more to light and get going but has a great flavor, burns hot and long and is wonderful for steaks and probably pizza. It is much milder then Mesquite smoke wood that can be strong.

Gator

• Pa_BBQ
    Options
    Found Royal Oak at walmart, its amazing how many times I went in to buy Kingsford Briquets and never even looked at another bag, its been there the entire time I bet.
    Large BGE
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 
  • Pa_BBQ
    Options
    Found Royal Oak at walmart, its amazing how many times I went in to buy Kingsford Briquets and never even looked at another bag, its been there the entire time I bet.
    Large BGE
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Just curious. How much is it a bag? What size bag?
  • $6.00 For 10#@ my walmart in pa.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    OK because I have been paying $5.50 per 8.8 Pound bag.
    One bag fills an empty firebox half way up the fire ring in my large. Tim
  • Pa_BBQ
    Options
    zero wrote:
    $6.00 For 10#@ my walmart in pa.
    Same for me
    Large BGE
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 
  • SteveinTN
    Options
    yes in knoxville tn

bge lump is about 28-35 dollars a bag. I just bought 3 bags of Wicked Good for 72 dollars delivered. I used it yesterday to cook ribs - all good.

have fun cooking - steve
  • Teach42
    Teach42 Posts: 219
    Options
    Royal Oak from Menards. Don't remember the price offhand, but I remember thinking it was pretty reasonable.