Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got my Big Green Egg.

Options
Pa_BBQ
Pa_BBQ Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well yesterday morning I started calling the dealers to see if they had any eggs in stock started calling the closest first obviously. The closes is an hour away, and did not have any instock. On call #4 Bingo, had both XL and L. I drove the hour and 45 minutes and chose the Large, was going to buy it and a Medium but after all the eggcessories, I decided to hold of on the Medium for now.

On the way home, picked up some thick Ribey steaks from Sams. I did have a hard time finding a patio stone, but finally Lowes had one.

I got home, at 4, built my table, put the egg together, fired it up and grilled the Ribeye's. They were great but since it was 9, I did not take pics, the kids were starving. :)
Large BGE
Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 

Comments

• milesofsmiles
    Options
    A very bold step for you and the family. Travel, buy, stop & shop,travel, put together, load lump and cook and eat all in one afternoon / evening. You sir are a true Hero to your family. Lots of Smiles on you. :):)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Pa-BBQ, Welcome! B) Now you will wonder why you did not get one sooner! Hope you liked your first cook. What will be your next cook? Spatchcock chicken? Maybe a butt cook! Well what ever it is it's going to be tasty! :P Enjoy your investment and just think now you will be able to pass all this on to your children!

:woohoo: Congrats :woohoo:
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    That's quick work, Pa ! I bought mine last week, and I won't get it until Thursday. I figured a large BGE wouldn't fit into my MiniCooper, so I'm letting them deliver it.

That hasn't stopped me from buying eggcessories, though.

Bought a plate setter.
    I have a Thermopen coming.
    Bought a CI grid.
    Bought an Ash thingie.
    Bought a pizza peal (already have a stone)

Now, all I need is a BGE.

Congratulations on your new toy. :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• LFGEnergy
    Options
    Congrats also! As a Newbie myself, dont be afraid to ask questions, although I have started searching the board more and asking less, as the search usually gives me 4 or 5 opinions to choose from.

You will have a few shortcomings (I am still figuring out poulty), but the cooking is half of the fun! A pork butt early is a good thing, as with some minor effort you can hit a home run relatively easy!

Again, congrats.

Dave in Keller, TX
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I am so glad you finally got your egg. It looks like everyone here and on the bbq forum were able to steer you in the right direction.
  • You will eventually need a dealer to replace a cracked firebox or fire ring or worse. I would go back to the closest dealer very soon and "look around" and remind them you went to them first but they had none in stock. Then later when you need help you won't be THAT GUY who bought from the competition. Congrats on the egg.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Optimistically thinking that may not happen and if and when it does we may be driving funny looking cars that fly! Tim ;) :laugh:
  • Riiiight, like there is not a large percentage of eggers who are not already on their second firebox. We can put our head in the sand and hope for the best, or CYA. I was not bashing the egg, just looking to help the guy out.
  • Pa_BBQ
    Pa_BBQ Posts: 132
    Options
    I agree with buy local if possible. and if the dealer carried accessories I may have had him order me one. He was a stove dealer and said he would not be getting any more eggs in till Christmas. He was not close, about 45 mins south, I had to go an hour and 45 minutes north. The next closest dealer was not in due to illness, not sure when they would return. I had no problem under those circumstances going north. :)
    Large BGE
    Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Congrats and welcome to your new hobby.
    We dont mind answering most any question here, just please put a little common sense into it first. :)
    We look forward to seeing more of your posts.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Thinking Down The Road,

OK! Calm down! I'm not arguing with you nor did I think you were bashing the BGE. Go take a chill pill! If you would like you can shoot me an email and tell me what you really think of me. Tim :):):):):) se i'm smiling!
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Holy crap! It was about a month before I got my Egg nestled in a table. You did it all in one day! Perhaps your handle should be Superman.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Pa_BBQ you """I got home, at 4, built my table, put the egg together, fired it up and grilled the Ribeye's.""" in one afternoon.
    We have a little problem in the Middle East that you could take care of before that second rideye please :woohoo:

You are going to like it here --- welcome....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Dave for the first time in my life poultry is EASY. Just call Tom and get an Adj Rig. Put the poultry up high and you become a master of poultry overnight.... ;)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    You did all of that in one afternoon without a nap?

:lol::lol:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Congrats! You are now officially an Egghead.
  • Called to find an egg.
    Drove 1 hr and 45 min to buy it
    Drove home
    Bought food on the way
    Built a table
    Put together the egg
    Cooked on the egg.

Inconceivable!