Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork for 35

Options
BeerMike
BeerMike Posts: 317
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife volunteered me to cook pulled pork for the families staying at the local Ronald McDonald House. I need to cook for 35 people. Can someone provide me with an idea of how much pulled pork to cook per person? [p]The local butcher has pork shoulders in the 7 to 8 pound range. After cooking an 8 pounder, I should have about 4 pounds of meat, right? I hope I can fit all that pork on my large egg.[p]BeerMike

I think it's time for another beer!
BGEing since 2003
2 Large BGEs 
Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
Living the dream in Wisconsin

Comments

• WilliamH
    Options
    BeerMike,
    Frankly, I rank about a 2 on the egging scale from 1 to 10. But mediocrity has never shut me up before. So, this is what I would do. Borrow maybe 4 crockpots. Smoke what you can for 5 hours or so, then into the crockpot on low. Put the rest of them on the egg and do the same.[p]My crockpot was cooking too high even on low. So I made an electrical box and added a dimmer switch to control the outlets. The boiling point where I am is 200 deg. So I wanted it to cook at 190 or so. It works great. Good luck.

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    BeerMike, Here's some quick figurin on my part...
    Assumptions -
    1. Half of the 37 will have 1 sandwich and the other half will have two sandwiches.
    2. Each sandwich requires about 6 oz. pork (post cooking weight).
    3. 53 sandwiches @ 6 oz. each is 318 ozs of cooked pork or roughly 20 lbs (rounded up) of cooked pork.
    4. If you figure you loose about 40% weight in the cooking process you will need 20 lbs x 1.40 or 28 lbs of pork butt to start.[p]Does any of it make sense??? The answer really lies in your assumptions. The math is just the math. Just my $.02 Joe

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    BeerMike,
    4 of those 7-8 lbs roasts will work.
    Fitting them on is the next challenge......
    I've cooked 35 lbs at once, but it was 2 whole shoulders at 18 lb each, banked on each 'arm' of a V-rack.
    Qfan

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    BeerMike, you get 2.4 servings per pound from uncooked meat weight. You have 35 folks so you will need right at 52 servings. 52/2.4 =21.7 pounds. I would get 4 7-8 pound butts and plan on having plenty of extra. YOu can always leave the extra and a few buns for a little midnight snack. It will be appreciated. You should be able to get four 8 pounders on a large egg. Put three close together and then one on top.[p]And kudos to you for doing this.

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    BeerMike,[p]You could get by with three big ones but pork is cheap and I'm sure it will be put to good use if you can do four. Nice thing to do.
    [/b]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    BeerMike,[p]I've coked for the RMH a few times. You're doing a great service for people in need! Where (part of the country) are you? If I can help, I'd be happy to If you can fit four of those shoulders on your egg, you'll have plenty![p]Smokey
  • BeerMike
    Options
    Smokey, I live close to Madison, WI. I visited the RMH last year during an open house and was touched. I think I will be able to fit 4 shoulders on the egg. The suggestion of 3 on the bottom and one stacked on top should work. I think I will need to find a larger drip pan. A 12 to 13 inch round pan should work on the inverted platesetter.[p]Thanks,[p]BeerMike

BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    BeerMike,[p]We picked up a 14" deep dish pizza pan from a local kitchen store here that works great as a drip pan. I cover it with heavy aluminum foil before each use and it cleans up beautifully.[p]Great thing you're doing...[p]Tonia
    :~)

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    BeerMike,[p]Well, I'm in Atlanta. The commute to Madison really sucks. I'll be with you in spirit! [p]Smokey
  • BeerMike
    Options
    Smokin Joe, Yes, makes sense. Thanks for your 2 cents.[p]BeerMike

BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs