Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crispy pork belly roast on the egg

Options
Don Marco
Don Marco Posts: 287
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy...

My butcher had a pork belly roast on sale last week so i thought that´d be a good idea to try out my new Cyber-Q Guru on the egg.

So i cut the skin of the belly and put a good bit of kosher salt into the cuts and rubbed the rest of the outside with buttrub. Put it in the fridge overnight and started the egg the next day.
Started at 230 F for 40 Minutes and then raised the temp to 370 to crisp the skin. It was awesome to hear the popping of the skin outside of the eggicon_mrgreen.gif

The Belly was very moist, tender and flavourful, but the skin was the best. Wow !smi5.gif

57_pp_002_Small_19.jpg

57_pp_007_Small_15.jpg

57_pp_008_Small_13.jpg

57_pp_009_Small_8.jpg

57_pp_011_Small_16.jpg

57_pp_019_Small_14.jpg

57_pp_013_Small_14.jpg

57_pp_015_Small_11.jpg

57_pp_017_Small_13.jpg

Here you can see the temperature curve. I know this is a tad nerdy but i kinda like those things - and its gonna give me a good sleep when cooking overnight or ease up cooking larger quantities since i can control 2 cookers with the cyber Q

57_guru1_Small_1.jpg

57_guru2_Small_2.jpg

So long...

DM
www.don-marcos-bbq.de

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I AM SAVING THIS LINK!!! we just had a pig butchered and it is all large pieces for us to do our own bacon and smoking and sausage. I have a HUGE piece of this in the freezer an was not sure what I could do with it besides bacon. I rather do the Canadian style with the loin. I hear crackling in my future :) I am sure I will be emailing you with questions lol thanks for sharing
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Julie what would you ask your butcher for to get that cut of meat? Not sure if a cut called Pork belly roast is in Central Texas?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Great post DM! I don't see pork belly available in my area very often. Never have cooked it or even tasted it.
    Thanks for posting the cyberQ pics too, I don't think they're nerdy at all. I love my cyberQ and it does let you get a good night's sleep......until one of the alarm goes off. :)
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    That's uncanny - I cooked belly of pork last night but I didn't have the nerve to suggest doing it in the egg, though I've been longing to try.
    We do 15 minutes of hot followed by a long low cook and another hot burst at the end if the crackling needs it. Added butternut squash & onion to the tray with some of the rub on. This was an improvement over the sweet potato (too rich).
    I love that temp curve - it may be nerdy but it is fascinating (it'd be interesting for the domestic oven too!). I guess the next step for the cyber guru interface application is to program the change in temp (like programming the microwave).
    Great looking cook - not as fatty as the UK equivalent.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    I'm sure if you ask your butcher for a pork belly roast he could get you one. From what I read it's a faboulous cut. It's layers of fat between layers of sweet meat. Which when cooked slowly melt and baste from within. It's also very inexpensive cut of meat. So you're paying next to nothing for one of the tastiest bits of the pig.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Amazing technology, awesome cook.
    Now that you have shown us pork belly I would like to give it a try. I guess it's the skin that is intriguing-getting it to 'snap', 'crackle' and 'pop'. :ohmy: I can see dinning on a bit of skin with a heaping pile of whipped potaters along side.
    Thanks Don for sharing.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Real nice DM. Ran into one of your countrymen on another forum who ordered a Large by the name of Simon - he said he spoke to you recently.

BTW - Nice trip to Lockhart as well
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    I bought a 'side of pork' with skin removed to make bacon and it looks like Don has the same cut with the skin on.
    I'll ask my butcher about a belly roast.
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    Nice. There's an amazing amount of information contained in 2 pictures: a shot of the completed cook, and a screenshot of the graph. I do the same with most of my cooks now, so that I can keep a log of my cooking. The only other thing needed is a listing of ingredients, and everything you need to know to reproduce that cook is there.

The fan graph looks like the fan is variable in intensity. Is that true, or does the fan work in bursts (on/off)?

Mark
  • GaryDZ
    GaryDZ Posts: 23
    Options
    Quick Question.... Prepping today, cooking tomorrow.  

Not sure if you'll get this in time.  

Start grill at 230F for about 40 min, then about 370F--- until internal temp about 165F?

Yours took about 95 Min total;  about how many pounds was it?

Your pics were amazing --- I saw your post yesterday--- had to try it today.   

Thanks in advance...

Don Marco said:

Started at 230 F for 40 Minutes and then raised the temp to 370 to crisp the skin.

57_guru1_Small_1jpg

57_guru2_Small_2jpg

So long...

DM

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Look at that skin cracklin'! holy mama!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I miss @Don Marco a true legend.   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,865
    Options
    Big fan of pork belly,  popular and common cut here in UK.  Using your guide I am doing this on Saturday!   Outstanding!
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I did my pork belly for the 4th (unfortunately skin removed) and used Don Marco's Pig Rub.  Wow!  Was it good!!!  No finished pics, so who really cares anyway???
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,865
    Options
    Not so crispy, because I had very little skin on my cuts.  Tasted terrific.
    Still learning & getting used to internal temp being way over, but meat still so moist.   Just coarse salt, plenty of paper and a drizzle of olive oil.
    Thank you Don Marco
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • JustOneOfTheGuys
    JustOneOfTheGuys Posts: 142
    edited July 2017
    Options
    For you Don Marco, where ever you are....

Southwestern CT