Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need mad max's help

Options
char buddy
char buddy Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Mad Max:[p]I've got a 5 lb rump roast ready to go. It sat in a garlicky oil overnight. Now it's been patted dry and sits resting in the fridge with a coating of the Dizzy Pig Cowlick Rub.[p]What's next?[p]

Comments

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    char buddy,[p]After carefully following Maxx's directions drive northeast into nj and bring it to my house. (;-) That garlicky oil sounds good. Not sure about the rump raost but I did and eye of round Friday, 8 cloves of garlic poked into it, rubbed in oil and dizzy dust, for about 1 1/4 hours at 350* or to 130 internal. It was really nice with the garlic. Today is strombolis. Have a good one.[p]Chuck
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    char buddy,
    gee, i've never done a rump roast before. .. but if you can do it like a rib roast, i'd start with a 500 degree egg, with grid over inverted plate setter... .put the roast on, then shut the vents to get her to 325, then let it roast at 325 till done. .. say 15 - 20 minutes per pound for medium rare. . [p]hope i'm not too late here. .. let us know how it turns out. . .

• tstick
    tstick Posts: 67
    Options
    Chuck,how huch did the roast weigh? I have trouble with them. Always too dry. Tahnks. tstick

• Chuck
    Options
    beep.jpg
    <p />tstick,[p]The one I did Friday was about 3 lbs. I have done others like in the photo bigger. Not sure what I am doing differently than you but mine have been very moist. Are you doing them indirect?[p]Chuck
  • Chainsmoker
    Options
    Chuck,
    how do you do the strombolis? on the bge?
    Ryan

• Chuck
    Options
    chainsmoker,[p]Yes, on the BGE. The ones I did yesterday where fresh pizza dough, roasted garlic, red peppers, onions, italian salami, mozzarella cheese and some mushrooms. Rolled it up and egged it for 10 minutes or so at 450° on a hot pizza stone and plate setter. They were very good as was the pizzas with basicly the same ingredients. Give them a try with you favorites.[p]Chuck

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Chuck,[p]Do you have a pic of the stromboli's? Are they made like a pizza and then rolled, jellyroll fashion? How do they differ from a calzone?[p]Sounds interesting,
    Tonia
    :~)

• char buddy
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I got stuck somewhere else and never saw your post time. I went with a salt crust method KOC (King o Coals, or was it King of Chickens) posted. I put the roast inside a salt blanket covered with cheesecloth. I put the blanket in a roast holder on top of a plate setter. I set the BGE to 500º and let it cook about 15 minutes a pound (I took it off when the internal temp hit 130º).[p]The roast was unbelievable juicy. It was juicy like the deckel on a good brisket, but not 'pull apart tender.' [p]next time I'll try it your way.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    char buddy,
    that sounds really good. . while i tend to coat roasts pretty liberally with kosher salt, i've never tried the salt encrusted route. .. i'll have to do that sometime myself. . .[p]glad it turned out good whatever method you used. . .

• Chuck
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Unfortunately no pics, they were attacked before I got the pizzas on. They looked nice too. Oh well, next time. Yes they are made similar to pizza and calzone and I did roll it up. Where calzone is more like a pizza turnover, stromboli is like a pizza roll (at least that is how I do it) and usually without a lot of sauce. Sometimes I will do some sauce on the side to dip it in but it isn't necessary. I use a dough recipe I modified from a FatDog post a few weeks ago, thanks FatDog. I have been struggling to make a good dough but finally have one I am pleased with. I'll post the recipe later if you are interested.[p]Chuck
  • Chainsmoker
    Options
    Chuck,
    yes, please post the dough recipe when you have time. thanks,
    Ryan