Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Moisture In Lump

BunkyRubBunkyRub Posts: 52
edited 12:20AM in EggHead Forum
Has anyone experienced excessive moisture in their lump due to rain, humidity, etc? I keep my lump in a Rubbermaid type of container with a lid that I think seals fairly well. We have had several days of rain and upon trying to light it, it was very slow/hard to start and snapped and popped a lot as it was getting started. It took about three times longer than normal to really get going. I assume this was due to moisture in the lump. Naked Whiz, as lump expert in residence, any thoughts on this?

Comments

• SundownSundown Posts: 2,971
    BunkyRub,[p]I've kept my lump in the same type of container you have for 5 years and I've never had any problem with moisture. I did leave a bag of Ozark Oak out one day last summer when we had one of those summer downpours and there must have been 4 inches of rainwater in the bottom of the bag. Dumped the water out spread it all out and let the lump lay in the sun for a few days and it was fine.
    Really can't help you except to say, if it weren't for Rubbermaid most every Egger I know would be dragging lump out of the house or shed every time they cooked.

• BunkyRub,
    Sounds like you have a load of mesquite that you didn't know about. I doubt moisture would make lump spark when you tried to start it, if the lump otherwise wouldn't spark much. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz