Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lobby email - Suggestions please

Options
Doug in Eggmonton
Doug in Eggmonton Posts: 1,999
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm sending an email to a co-worker in another city who needs a new BBQ, so of course she needs an egg. Here's what I've started with:
The big deal about eggs and Ceramic cookers in general is they hold heat very well. Both not losing heat and also being very stable, so they burn little fuel and through that don’t evaporate as much liquid from what you are cooking. Makes for unbelievably moist food particularly chicken and pork. Also as discussed can be set up to be stable from under 200 degrees to over 1000. For example they way I cook steak these days is called T-Rex; what I do is get the grill up to 750 or so and sear 2 inch thick steaks (1 steak serves two people) quickly on each side (90 seconds per) then close up the air vents let the steaks rest while the egg drops to 400, then finish cooking the steak. I will never cook a steak any other way, so very good.

That range of temperatures mean it can cook in the winter, it can be a wood fired pizza/bread oven, it can be a cold smoker, it can act as an oven, it can act as a grill, it is a BBQ in the southern sense of the word.

Here’s a good link to all the things you could make on an egg.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=723677&catid=1

The places you can get them in Calgary are:

Western Fresh Air Fireplaces (7.9)
5320 1-A St. S.W., Calgary, Alberta T2H 1Y5
Tel: (403) 243-4511

BBQ's Galore Tradex Supply (12.9)
3505 Edmonton Trail NE., Calgary, Alberta T2E 3N9
Tel: (403) 250-7842

Pretty much anyone who uses one, only uses their old gas grill as storage.

Any suggestions on a better sales job?

Doug

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Doug,

Girls just wanna have pizza

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Shame you can't email a pork butt or a pizza :ohmy: :laugh:
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    send her some pix of egged food start with stipsteaks wellington photos ,,
    which gives me an idea.. next woosday everyone post pix of their 3 best looking cooks.
    that is a great idea :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    If she is really interested in the EGG, advise her to go to the Forum and learn about the EGG. She will be able to find recipes, ask questions, and just read about the EGG. She will find out there is a plethora of information from all the people on the Forum as well as the pictures of foods the EGG can make. If she wants to get one soon, have her come over for dinner and make something on the EGG.

Gary
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    I thought about it, just tell her to check out the BGE Website. The videos are a good selling point.
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Options
    Damn, after reading that, I want one! (Wait a minute, I already have one. OK, maybe I'll get another one.)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Doug, If you plant the seed they may eventually go out and buy one.

As for me after I first heard of the big green egg it took me a year to buy a large one and now I wish I had gotten one a long time ago.

I will tell you this, before two years ago I never heard of a BGE.

Also, soon on cable TV network "the learning channel" there will be a BBQ show called "Pit Masters". I think it first airs On Dec, 3, 2009 at 10:pm I don't know the time zone but, I know there will be some eggs on there. I'm not sure if you get the network but my point is if the BGE were advertised on TV more people would be exposed to this wonderful cooking tool.

I hope your friend learns all about the BGE and takes home a new friend. What will it be a large or small or how about a mini. Tim