Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

time to drop from 450 to 200?

Options
rb2
rb2 Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got the egg last week (finally!) Planning on an 8 lb. standing rib roast for Tgiving dinner at around 4 pm.

My tried-and-true oven method is a pan sear on all sides before, then slow roast in oven at 200F approx 30 minutes per pound. Since it is such a gentle roasting heat, I pull it at 130F, and rest for 15 min.

So my question for those who have been at this awhile is: how long will it take the egg (a large) to drop from 'sear temp' to 200? What is a minimum sear temp, anyway?

If it's going to take two hours to cool down to 200, then I may just stick with the pan sear on the stovetop first, then pop it in the egg for the low-n-slow.

(However, there is the unspoken and seldom talked-about shame factor in using the stove... not that anyone here would address that in an open forum! Thank you for not openly heckling.)

Jim

p.s. The above method is from the Cook's Illustrated 'Best Recipe' book.

Comments

• Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Options
    What's a "stove"?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Jim,

If you put a big roast on at 450* say and close the vents to 250* you might not even see the temp at 450* although it is still searing. The big cold meat will drop the temp on the egg. You will still get your sear though. I wouldn't try maintaining 200* as you'll be chasing it unless you have a Digi-Q or other control. 250* is plenty low enough for what you are looking for.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CaptainSpaulding
    Options
    Jim,

You'll get a bunch of methods:

Sear and Roast

Roast and Sear

but I like to keep it as simple as possible. Try Mad Max's method here:

A TALE OF PRIME RIB

Start the cook with the egg stable at 500º. Put the roast in, indirect, and close the vents until the temperature comes down to 325º. Cook to 125º internal.

I love this method, because I don't have to juggle platesetters and grids.

Great results, too!

6f116dd0.jpg

Joe
  • MJF24
    MJF24 Posts: 146
    Options
    You can go from sear temps (500 degrees or so) to 250 in about 20 minutes as long as you don't let the Egg stay at the sear temp for too long. If you let it sit at 450 or 500 for a while, the ceramic will get hot and it'll take a while to cool down.

You might want to search the site for the T-Rex steak method, which is similar to what you're trying to do. There are many posts about that method and cooling down the Egg to roasting temps.

Also, if you roast indirect (by putting a plate setter in), the temperature in the Egg will drop much more quickly.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I do the same, stable Egg at 500 and add the roast, then set the vents for 350. Daisy small petals open large hole shut, bottom vent doesn't matter as long as it is at least 1/2" open. I pull it at 125 internal. -RP
  • rb2
    rb2 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks. Can you guesstimate the time for an 8 lb roast (going to try and get the big end), or rule-of-thumb xx min per pound? Just want to know approx what time to start up the egg for a 4 pm sit-down.

Jim
  • CaptainSpaulding
    Options
    I'm hooked on the no-fuss method, RP. We've done three roasts like that and the results are always spectacular. Glad to know that I'm in good company!

Just more evidence that the BGE has ruined me for restaurants. The Prime (Choice, actually, at about $6 a pound) Ribs I've had cooked on the egg are better than anything I've paid $20-30 a plate for. The wife like to clean the ribs. I love to see her carnivorous side!

Joe
  • CaptainSpaulding
    Options
    I've never really paid too much attention to the time it took, so you'll probably get better answers from more eggsperienced folks, but the biggest roast I've done was about 6 pounds and it was ready to go, after resting in less than 3 hours.

Joe
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I haven't cooked one since last Christmas, but I'm thinking it was less than two hours. Be sure to allow 20-30 minutes rest under a foil tent. -RP
  • Nils
    Nils Posts: 82
    Options
    There are many ways to do a rib roast, and they all work. ;)

Experiment with your newfound toy and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine!

I've done a few methods, what has been recommended above works nicely, and is simple.

I use a reverse sear now, been doing that most of the last year now - and I find it is easy, as well - give it a try some time when you want to play some more!

I cook the roast indirect (not necessary to do indirect, but its how I choose to do it) at 250-275 until it is 112 internal. Then pull and foil the roast, reset egg to direct and open her all the way up - take the top cast iron cover off and set it aside, and open bottom vent full-bore! Within 5 min egg is at 600-700 degrees. Pop that roast on, for a minute per side (can get it to stand on at least two sides and both ends without too much trouble) I rotate the roast about 30-40 degrees at the 30 second mark to get the nice grill marks. Pull, foil, and let rest 15-20 min, roast is now at 125-130, rare to med rare which is how we like it!

With the egg, there really is no need to do an initial sear to keep the meat from drying out - it just comes down to personal preference.