Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seasoning ribs

Options
Dawgtired
Dawgtired Posts: 632
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Having ribs, abts and wings for the Super Bowl tomorrow. In the past I have always seasoned my ribs 15-20 minutes before putting them on the egg. My wife informs me that Emeril says you need to do this at least 24 hrs. before the cook. I thought this would pull too much moisture out of the ribs. What do ya'll think?
As always any help or comments are greatly appreciated.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• Wino
    Wino Posts: 69
    Options
    Dawgtired,
    I like to rub mine the day before. Wrap them in plastic wrap and finally in foil. I use the foil because you can get a good tight wrap to make sure the rub stays in contact with the ribs. Yes it does suck moisture out of them, but that turns into a nice paste on the ribs. Always had rave reviews doing it this way. In fact I have 4 racks in the fridge right now for the big game. Go Pats!!
    Wino

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Dawgtired,
    I too do the 24 hr thing. I believe the drying out concern you have deals with the amount of salt in the rub. Obvoiusly if it is a rub you make - then you know the amount of salt. OTOH if it is a purchased product then one trial will be a good learning experience.
    Keep in mind this advice is coming from a guy who thinks a turkey in a John Ash brine for 4 days is superb, so I obviously like moist food!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.