Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

steaming broccoli

hinsongolf
hinsongolf Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have a method for doing this using a bamboo steamer?

Comments

• Just put your bamboo steamer in a wok or pot with about 1" of water.Keep the bamboo steamer out of the water.Put parchment paper or lettuce leaves on the botton of the steamer then the broccoli.Steam for about 10-12 minutes.
    Jon
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Jon, what is the purpose of lettuce leave or parchment? Once the water boils, I just put the broccoli in the bamboo steamer and steam for about 5-6 minutes.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    I think it is just easier clean-up.

Steaming in a bamboo steamer seems like a lot of trouble, unless you don't have another option.
  • I have a steamer basket for one of my pots, so I don't bother with the wok and bamboo steamer (or the egg) just for steamed veggies, but what Serial Griller said sounds great.

The only thing I'd add is that you'll probably want to peel off the outer layer of skin on the stems. If you cut off the (probably dried) end of the stem, you can see a light green interior, with a darker ring right under the skin. I slide a paring knife under that ring, cutting about a quarter to a half inch in, pinch the skin against the blade with your thumb and then pull it up, away from the stem. It should just pull right off, up to where the stem starts to branch off.

You might also want to halve or even quarter the broccoli heads, too.
  • Like Bob says..it's easier to clean up.If it was a metal steamer I wouldn't use lettuce. I'm just in the habit of using something in the bamboo steamer from when I do dumplings or pot stickers.
    I don't steam on the egg.
  • Thanks for the information.
  • Thanks for the information.