Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

shipping an egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to purchase an egg and have it shipped to the caribbean. Since it will be somewhat of a hassle I want to make sure I get all of the parts I need. I fugure a medium egg, the cover,the charcoal and WHAT ELSE?I am confused. This is a birthday present for my husband. Any thoughts? Thanks

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Marianne,
    If this egg is going to be in the Carribbean for a long time (i.e. you won't be shipping it back to the US in 6 months) I'd suggest:[p]1) a plate setter for indirecct cooking and pizza. It is the ideal thing for this and you won't have to try to improvise if you can't get things there like fire brick.[p]2) A spare grate and then get some stainless steel hardware to make a raised grate. I have photos and directions in my FAQ (see below).[p]3) Make sure you get the daisy wheel top and the thermometer. Some dealers have been including them in the package, some have not. Whatever, make you sure you get them.[p]4) An ash tool is handy for raking out ashes and stirring the charcoal. [p]5) A grid lifter is also handy for lifting the grid. Assuming you don't have time to get one of the Grid Lifters from Lawn Ranger here on the forum.[p]6) Again I don't know what you will be able to get down there or not, but a grid cleaner, one of those thingys with twin spirals of wire for cleaning the grid is good to have. [p]Good luck!
    TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Ceramic FAQ (look for raised grid)[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Marianne,[p] If your going to go to all that trouble with the shipping, you might want to think about going for the large egg. Just a though & nice gift for your husband he will love it that's for sure & by the way so will you.[p]Earl
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Marianne, I'd also contact Big Green Egg Headquarters directly and ask about shipping. They might be able to give you a better price on shipping direct from the HQ.

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Marianne,do not forget that Humpty Dumpty is fragile. Heavy and easy to drop.It would be best to attach it to a pallet. Strap both top and bottom of the egg to the pallet. This will keep it from being hit from the side or dropped.Hubby will love it!!

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Marianne,one more thing... insure the egg during shipment!

• captaincraigb
    Options
    Marianne, The person that got me hooked on the egg has a medium. is only regret is that he didn't get the large. love mine, can't even go out to dinner, would rather cook myself.