Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip

Options
Peggy
Peggy Posts: 122
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all, yesterday I was at Costco and they had Tri Tip for sale. I have heard that Tri Tip is yummy but I have never had it. Do any of you have experience cooking it on your BGE? Do you like it? Is it tuff or tender? Is is flavorful? What's your favorite way to cook it. Thanks! Peggy

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Peggy,
    It is a very tender cut of meat. I cooked them direct at about 400 degrees until it registers 135 to 140. Put your favorite seasoning/rub on it for enhanced taste. Cut across the grain. LOL

• Grillin' Bill
    Options
    Peggy,
    I cook tri-Tip all the time. One method is to go to Recipe Section- Eggtoberfest 1999 and you will see how I did some of my first ones.[p]Essentially cook like a steak. I sear the outside. Then let them dwell with lid down. Put your favorive rub on, or just season with salt and pepper. It is the most flavorful meat I am aware of. I now cook them to an internal temp of 125, as I like medium rare.[p]Enjoy,[p]Grillin Bill[p]

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Grillin' Bill,
    Where have you been hiding Bill...We missed seeing you at the last couple of Eggtoberfest and missed your Tri Tip.
    Larry

• bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    Options
    Grillin' Bill,
    Dang good to see you here! Still have raves over your rasberry chicken/pork!![p]

• Grillin' Bill
    Options
    BBQBeth,
    Thanks
    Glad you enjoyed it.[p]Grillin Bill

• Grillin' Bill
    Options
    YB,
    Been working here in Virginia. I read the forum every now and then and get inspired.[p]For wxample last week I read what mad max beyond eggdome did with flank steak and it inspired me to do something to a skirt steak. So I cooked skirt steaks last night for eight people.[p]I took a meat hammer and pounded them as flat as I could on both sides. Brushed with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Rubbed with squeezed garlic. Sprinkled with onion, green pepper, and roasted tomatoes. Sprinkled with Zeus Greek Seasoning. Sprinkled with combination of Parmesian and Monteray Jack cheese. Sprinkled with sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, and dried oregano. Rolled it up to where it was about 5 inches in circumference and 6 inches long and ties with meat twine. Cooked the 2 rolls on egg at 350 until internal temp was 130 and sliced about half inch thick. It was great.[p]I finally got around to doing ABT's. They were also great. I've cooke a venison ham and tenderloin too.Also, I can't say enough good things about Chris's Raging River Rub on Salmon. My wife says its the best salmon she has ever had.[p]So I do read and lurk here every now and then to get ideas. I grill about 4 nights a week even in winter and almost ever night in summer.[p]Haven't made Eggtobefest because a professional meeting I have to go to (National Academy of Neuropsychology) in October.[p]Not sure how to update my profile and change my e-mail address but if someone would tell me I'd do it.[p]Thats about it. I do miss not going to eggtoberfest, but I usually look here to see what is happening. So many people now on the forum and at Eggtoberfest, I probably would only know 1-2 people.[p]My Best to All
    Grillin Bill

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    Peggy,
    Where do you live? I have never seen tri-tip in my Costco in Atlanta, but I will definitely look again.

• WudEyeDoo
    WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
    Options
    Peggy,
    We just finished our tri-tip meal a few minutes ago! It was really good, very flavorful.[p]I marinated about 24 hours using Italian dressing, a good size glug of Pickapeppa, some teriyaki, and a little bit of garlic sauce. About 90 minutes before cooking, I rubbed the meat with Dizzy Pig's Cow Lick Rub.[p]Sear both sides at 600 degrees or so for a couple minutes. You could dwell at this point but I took it off instead and let it rest while the egg got to around 400 degrees. After about 20 minutes I put it back on for 5 minutes, flipped and then put in Polder. Took it off at 134 internal temp. It was a great success! Try it this way, I bet you like it.[p]Bob