Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

odor and flash

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have owned a large BGE for 1 1/2 yrs. and used it perhaps 50-70 times some slow cooking, a lot of grilling steaks and chops. Lately (last 2 or 3 times) after high temp grilling when I close the vent and put the damper on (for some smoke flavor on the steaks) there is a very bad odor coming from the egg. It smells like an incinerator burning plastic. Also for the first time I have been experiencing back draft and an explosive flash when I open the dome.I've burned the hair off my forearms!
I use BGE lump and wet mesquite wood chips. I have never cleaned the egg and I am wondering if that is the problem. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Joe B,[p]The only cleaning the Egg needs is a trip up to 600 deg now and then. I use mine mostly for grilling so mine never gets to cruddy - but your might need to just get hot and self-clean itself. [p]Remember - smoke and hot coals = backdraft. Always open the vents and burp the Egg when its all closed up after being above 300 deg or so - especially with wood chips in it.[p]Tim
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Joe B,
    Flashes and whooshes are possible anytime you have a very hot fire. Burp your egg first, and always prepare a whoosh to be safe.[p]As far as the smell you detect....nothing smells like burnt plastic except for burnt plastic. Clean out all the lump from your firebox, and vacuum out the ashes. Try a different bag of lump possibly (I find items in nearly every bag that are not hardwood lump)[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ