Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Will an Egg work as a Tandoor?

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I do a lot of grilling, but ALSO do a lot of Thai and Indian cooking. I have a home made Tandoor, and have found a place where I can order one from India, but have also found out recently about the BGE. The Ugly Brothers website says the BGE can work as a Tandoor, and I was wondering if it could (then, I could replace some of my current items). [p]However, reading the forum it seem as if some people have had BGEs crack at high temperatures. Tandoors ar used at well over 500 degrees. Has anyone used a BGE as a Tandoor and cooked Tandoori breads, poultry, etc?

Comments

• GfwGfw Posts: 1,598
    S11_11_9919_27_03.jpg
    <p />Peter, I have had my medium BGE in excess of 1000 degrees dome temperature many times - typically for searing steaks. Apparently the original BGEs had less heat tollerance.[p]The only thing that I have done is Tandorri Chicken - click on the link! Good luck - You'll not go wrong with the BGE!
    [ul][li]Tandoori Style Chicken[/ul]
  • McKevinMcKevin Posts: 47
    Peter,[p]I have never heard of an egg cracking, though a firebox will crack on occasion (mine has been cracked for over a year now, cooks just fine). BGE will replace a cracked firebox under the lifetime warranty, but I've never bothered...[p]In any case, definitions are probably in order. When we talk about "high temp", we are usually talking about the 800-1200 degree range. These things will do 500 all day.[p]Jump in!
    Kevin