Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good deal on an XL?

Options
greennewb
greennewb Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a new XL for $1069. The place where I bought it now builds tables and sold me this one for $129. They also threw in a plate setter, bag of charcoal and a grate grabber. I've got a picture of it but I don't see how to attach it. I'll probably cook hamburgers tonight. Startin off with the easy stuff!

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Sounds like an overall good deal.
    Did you get an ash tool?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • greennewb
    Options
    No, that's the only thing I forgot about. I guess I'll just buy one. They can't be much, can they?
  • llrickman
    Options
    Sounds like a good deal to me I paid $924 for my large ,nest , plate setter, and grate grabber and a bag of BGE Lump
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Matt_inSC
    Options
    No, not expensive but will be used often. Could use something else to do the same thing but the BGE tool is very well designed for what it does. You'll enjoy it.
  • NoleC5
    NoleC5 Posts: 176
    Options
    Congrats! Hamburgers was my first cook too!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Doesn't really matter, the deal is done now. The Egg is such a good value that a cost differential of a hundred or so makes no difference.
    Congrats and welcome aboard.
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    greennewb wrote:
    No, that's the only thing I forgot about. I guess I'll just buy one. They can't be much, can they?
    I think those ash tools for the xl are only about $150.00. :silly: :blink: :sick:B)
    Welcome and have fun with your new toys.You can learn a lot from the people on here.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Posting photos is easy--once you know how. Here are some great instructions:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=657041&catid=1

Looking forward to your pictures.

Judy
    San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Can't tell you whether or not you got a good deal, but can tell you that you will discover that an Egg is worth a whole lot more than you paid for it.
  • greennewb
    Options
    Sorry, just getting back to this thread. As soon as I pick my son up from basketball I'm gonna fire it up and throw on the burgers! I'm going to try the method where you sear for 2 min on each side at 650 then shut it down until the temp of the burgers is right.
    If I completely botch it I suppose we can always get fast food!!!
    I'll read how to upload pictures and send some. I think that table is sweet for $129. Looks just like the one you can buy from BGE for $499
  • greennewb
    Options
    Okay, gonna try to post a pic I took with my iPhone this morning.
    photo.jpg
  • greennewb
    Options
    Hey, it worked! I had to sign up for a photobucket account but I'm sure I will use it.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Nice rig for $125. thats about what it cost me to build a cypress table. I would highly recommend a concrete paver under the Egg. It will burn the table, several members have had their tables get burnt under the Egg. There are some good examples of near catastrophes on the Naked Whiz's site. I got one of the Super sized ones at H/D to put under my XL.:)
  • greennewb
    Options
    You can't see it in the picture, but there actually is a round stepping stone under the egg. The thing that concerned me is that it is probably two inches from the edge to the stone all the way around. I wish it were all the way out. I may get another one.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I would consider a thicker one. I love my XL especially for big cooks. Enjoy the new Egg and welcome to the forum.
  • greennewb
    Options
    Okay, I forgot to take a picture before I put cheese on it. The burgers were really good. The only thing I could have done better was pulled them earlier. My (new) Thermapen read 185. They were good, but could have been a little less done.

photo1.jpg
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    You should look into getting a spacer between the egg and the paver so the air gap will help in reducing the heat transfer directly from egg to paver to wood table.
    Egg feet work good if you can get from your dealer.
    HTH
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap