Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

horseradish root from garden - what to do

Options
SteveinTN
SteveinTN Posts: 232
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
have never used fresh horseradish. Planted some last year. We dug up a few roots yesterday let the big stuff to grow. What do with the root now? We will cook the salt crust rib roast tonight.

21e58a73.jpg

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Make horseradish sauce. You can freeze it like ginger root and grate/chop some when needed. Yum!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    Well my inbred kin up on ole Rocky Top would put it in the ROOT Celler. :woohoo: :laugh: :laugh: Smiles to you.
  • Smokin Squires
    Options
    Greetings;
    very simple.
    Horseradish recepe:
    Freeze root. skin the root with a potato peeler. grate root, add evaporated milk to desired consistency. Spicy taste lasts only 24 hrs. Make only what u plan on using that day. Good Luck!

On another topic
    Got two 9+# butts on xl since 2am. guru set to 260 clipped to meat probe on top of butt
    Paid $.87/lb at Halsey's Huntsville, AL in a 2 pack 19# out the door, $17.85
    Today's recepe for injection:
    dry roast
    1T fennel (new ingredient)
    1T dill
    1T caraway
    grind in coffee grinder;
    add to 3C apple juice
    4T corn syrup
    3T worstishire
    1T Dizy Pig reg grind
    boil
    cool
    add 3/4 C apple vinegar
    let the powder settle
    inject juice in butts

rubb butts w/ coarse grind DD
    zip lock in fridge

Flintville, TN
  • rockytopsc
    Options
    You talk'n bout me?
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Can't give you any real advice, other than to pass on what my father told me. When he, as a child, would help his dad grind horseradish, the tears would stream down their faces. Seems like it makes chopping onions easy on the eyes. (Also, as a kid, I remember my dad and uncles, and older cousins putting horseradish a half inch thick on their ham slices. It would bring tears to their eyes, but they'd all laugh and say, "well. that sure clears the sinuses!"
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    Don't think we are kin cept Big Orange. :):):) Call me Monday. Smiles to you and Angie "The Food Police".
  • Gator Bait
    Options
    LOL, You may want a gas mask on hand. My BIL decided to make homemade prepared horseradish one year. My sister and I vacated to the living room, closed the doors and left him to it. All I know was that he was shredding it in the food processor, adding vinegar and I think cooking it till tender. LOL, World War 1 mustard gas couldn't have been any worse and a dozen skunks would have been better. :laugh:

Keep us posted, would love to hear how you make out with it.

Gator

• Rib Fan
    Rib Fan Posts: 305
    Options
    I would search the internet on making a prepared horseradish. But if you want to enjoy it fresh..I really enjoy it on fresh oysters.

Fresh horseradish is served on shell on far side of pic.

img_0645.jpg

Fresh horseradish is also great for spicing up a ceaser or Bloody Mary.

Wayne
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I thought Rockytop was in TN? Did they get it wrong in the song?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Steve....Perfect combo! Make a fresh horseradish sauce to have with the roast!! Peel and grate.... I mix mine with a bit of sour cream, a tiny bit of ketchup, salt & fresh black pepper. Perfect with the beef!!