Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sirloin steaks

Options
Pilcher Man
Pilcher Man Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First attempt at cooking steaks produced somthing similar to door hinges at 600 degrees, 8 mins. total. Tried again, seared good at 6oo/6 mins., but too rare for spouse....p/d rare. Need instruction on safe steak cooking method. Eating me up. New guy with xlg bge.

He who takes what isn't hisn, must give it back or go to prison.

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Pitcher Man,
    Sorry to hear that you are having a problem, If you pull the steaks off after the sear and get the egg temp down to 400 and put the steaks back on until they are to your liking. If you are cooking by time you will always be disappointed, get a thermapen instant read thermometer and cook to temperature you will be happy every time. Hopefully someone will post about the Trex method and that will help also.
    I cook all my steaks at 400 and pull them at the temp I want.
    Check out this link, http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/MeatTemperatureChart.htm
    Good luck Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    TRex works for me. I think it's recommended only for a thicker steak, but then, what other kind is there? Sear at high temp. Remove. Get temp down to 400 or so. Put steaks back on for x minutes per side to desired doneness. Leave wife's on longer. :)

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm

Some roast first and then crank up the heat for a sear. I haven't tried that yet.

As for your other questions, I have no idea where I bought my peels. Had them for years. A restaurant supply house might have them, mine does anyway. Bed Bath & Beyond maybe? Or you could find an online seller if nothing locally. And no, mine was not a scratch dough. Will be soon, but I haven't tried it yet.

Good luck with the steaks, AND the pizza!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    In spite of all you read here, you are on dangerous ground if you are trying to be a slave to a cook in terms of time and temperature. You need to be able to sense the doneness of the meat from the way it feels, or with a quick read thermometer (easier for most of us).

There are just too many variables: The real temp of the grill, how close the lump is to the grate, the thickeness of the steak (any meat really), the starting temp, the desired level of doneness, etc.

If you pulled a steak that was too rare, it just means that you did not check it before you pulled it and if it was over done, it just means that you judged poorly about the remaining cooking time when you turned it over.

I think that you need to get comfortable with a cook at 400-500 and then move to the more specialized techniques.

If you are really going for a sear on a steak, you should be turning it at 90 seconds to 2 minutes.

Most of my cooks go like this: I put it on at the temp I found the Egg when I went out (calibrated eye on the vents to get within 50 degrees) and I cooked it until it was done.
  • uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    Options
    Hi, Pilcherman: Carolina Q's reference to T-Rexing is well worth reading and following. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm
    This is the method I use, following it almost to a "T."Things I consider important: let the piece of cow come to room temp first; salt and season it shortly before putting it on the egg; sear @ 600°F, 90 seconds per side; remove the piece of cow using tongs or a spatula so as not to pierce the steak. Let rest for 20 minutes while you bring the egg down to 400°F; return the steak to the egg for about 5 minutes per side, depending on desired level of done-ness. Check the internal temp with your Thermopen. Remove from the egg, again using tongs or spatula, and let rest about 5 minutes before eating. I've always had good success using this technique. If you have a dog, be very careful about where you leave the steak during the rest periods.

Uglydog
  • EggTurner
    Options
    During that final rest, does the steak temperature continue to rise? If so, how do you determine when to remove it from the 400 degree roast?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I would assume so, but only slightly. After a 20 minute rest, it's still stone cold anyway. Check with a Thermapen or use a remote probe. First steak I did on the egg was a 1 1/2" strip. Used this method and it was the best steak I ever cooked. If you haven't checked out the TRex link above, you should.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Pilcher....As you already know, there are several "correct" methods when cooking on the Egg. You will find the one that works best for you....it just takes time. With steaks, I am a fan of stabilizing the Egg around 400*, then opening dome and bottom vent until coals come alive....then sear direct. Typical 1-1 1/4" steak takes approximately 3-4 minutes per side....we pull at an internal of 118*-120*....rest will bring to 125-128*. Don't find the "nuke" mentality helpful here, but again, it will be up to you to find the method that you prefer. ;) (The reason we do not care for the nuke mentality is it drives SO much heat into the meat SO fast, it is very easy to lose control and end up with a shoe sole.....just my two cents) Keep experimenting....you'll get it down. ;)
  • Pilcher Man
    Options
    Appreciate the advice on the steaks. I never had a problem on the old gasser but the egg is a new ballgame for me. Now I realize that after the 600 sear, I need to bring the temp down to 400 to finish. Will get a thermopen too. Thanks again fellow eggers!

He who takes what isn't hisn must give it back or go to prison.