Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Jerky (suggestions)

Options
FlaParrotHead
FlaParrotHead Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK eggsperts - I am tired of paying the store price for tender (never fresh) beed jerky and have an 11yr old who can go through a bag in 15 mins if we let him.[p]I am looking for recipies that I can try to get that soft tender texture and taste of some store bought jerky. [p]Never having tried it - - I'll need to start with the basics, best cut of beef to use, prep, and cook suggestions.[p]Thanks, Bill[p]

Comments

• FlaParrotHead,[p]Here's a link to a site for you. Scroll about half way down
    to Making Jerky. Lots of info. I've done the Hot & Spicey
    and love it.[p]Good luck. [p]Kevin

[ul][li]Randy's BBQ [/ul]
  • Dock of The Woods
    Options
    FlaParrotHead, I just go to the store and buy a cheap raost or round steak or something like that, talk to your butcher.
    I slice it thin as I can, and marinade in this over night. As far as not being softer and tender you can start to sample it as it gets close to done. But if you don't get it dry enough you may have to keep refridgerated. Like you said at my house it does not last long enought to go bad! Good luck![p]
    1&1/2 t. salt
    2&1/4 t. garlic powder
    1/2 t. pepper
    1/2 t. ginger
    1/3 C. brown sugar
    1/2 C. teriyaki sauce
    1/2 C. Soy sauce [p]

• BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    FlaParrotHead, Here is a web page that might help you. At the bottom, you will find a link to a lot of recipes.[p]BeerMike

[ul][li]Jerky[/ul]
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    jerky.jpg
    <p />FlaParrotHead,[p]Mmmmmmm, jerky on a BGE is awesome. I just might have to do some on Sunday. Thanks for the idea. FYI the photo has 3 levels of jerky. The top level is venison with two levels of beef below. I do mine over an inverted plate setter at 200° or less. You and your son will enjoy it. I can't even eat the store bought stuff anymore.[p]Chuck

• BeerMike,[p]Hey does the tender quick add saltiness to the jerky? I usually do mine without out it and just refrigerate it afterwards... recently a freind made som ejerky on my egg using a store bought rub that included the "curing agent" and I found it to be a bit too salty for my tastes.... just wondering if the Cure is salty as well... kind of like sugar and aspartame???[p]Also, I checked out the recipe page... some of those sound damn good any favorites?[p]Thanks, [p]Brian...[p]
  • Nardi,
    Tenderquick is appprox. 99 Percent salt. Yes, it does contribute to to the saltiness taste.[p]Kevin