Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions About Smoked Turkey Breast

Options
GeorgiaBorn
GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey everyone. I've been reading recipes here and there on smoked turkey breasts and have a few questions to those of you that have done just the breast before.

1) Some say that hickory wood chips are too strong for poultry that you should use apple or something milder if you use wood chips at all. Thoughts?

2) Some brine, some don't. I have always brined, even when cooking in my rotisserie but I have never smoked a turkey breast. Thoughts?

3 A few recipes I read said that low and slow is not for a turkey but rather cook it at 325 so the skin crisps. Other recipes show 250, which I consider pretty low. What temp?

4) At 350, for the breast to reach a temp of 165-170, how many hours per pound (estimate) am I looking at?

That's about it. I think answers/thoughts on these 4 points might help a lot of people that are doing this for the first time in a few weeks. Any other tips or advice on doing a turkey breast is most welcomed.

As always, thanks for your help and support!

Comments

• MJF24
    MJF24 Posts: 146
    Options
    Most of your questions are answered here:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm

Many of us have done it this way with great results.

Good luck!
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Couple ideas:

- I follow package instructions, quick at 350ish to prevent drying out. Fat side toward back of egg, or toward hot zone.

- Can brine but not recommended if a % solution already added.

-Hickory is ok but poultry is one of those meats that is easily over powered by smoke. My choice is pecan, mellower than hickory, and cherry for color.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one way I like to do them.

Turkey, Breast, Richard Fl

TURKEYBREAST.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    1 6 1/2 Lbs Turkey Breast, Bone In
    Seasoning/Rub
    2 Tbs Lawry's Chicken & Poultry Seasoning
    2 Tbs Paprika, Spanish
    2 Tbs Tone's Garlic & Herb Seasoning
    Basting
    3 Tbs Crushed Garlic
    3-4 Ozs Butter

Preparation
    1 Sprinkled the rub over and inside the skin and let set for 30 minutes
    Cooking
    1 Placed in large BGE, 350°F W/Plate Setter inverted, drip pan with 1 quart water, "V" rack. Placed bird in BGE W/aluminum foil to protect breast. Removed the foil last hour.
    2 Allowed temperature to drop to 300°F and left alone for an hour. Basted after first hour W/Butter/ garlic mixture, continued to baste each half hour for a total cook time of 3 hours. The temperature varied from 275°F-300°F. Pulled @ 160°F internal. Total cooking time 3 hours.
    3 Allowed to sit 45 minutes wrapped in foil. EGGcelent. Leftovers are going to become Eggchiladas W/red sauce.

Preparation time: 30 minutes
    Cooking time: 3 hours
    Ready in: 4 hours

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/04/15

2007/05/22--Did another tonight- Only took 2 hours between 275F & 325F. Basted W/Italian Salad Dressing after the first hour. Temp for meat got to 170F and pulled after 2 hours. Used pecan chips for smoke, not soaked. covered with foil whole cook so as not to burn skin. Left the drip pan out of this cook, perhaps that is the reason for the shorter cook time.

2009/01/14--RPH-- Did one tonight on the small BGE, Spatchcocked the 7 pounder and did high in the dome at 325F, direct. Took 1 hour 15 minutes to reach 160F. Used Italian Salad Dressing, Lawry's Chicken & Poultry, Urban Accents Smokey Peppercorn Turkey Rub and some Pixie Dust. Spritzed every 20 minutes or so with vinegar and apple juice and spices. EGGstrmely moist.
  • GeorgiaBorn
    Options
    What kind of wood did you use?
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I like apple wood with poultry, but sometimes use guava.