Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Simple Turkey Cook

danny285
danny285 Posts: 360
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is there a simple turkey cook recepite somewhere, all i can find if the madmax turkey. i would like something a lot easier than that.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I separate the breast from the legs and thighs. Then cook indirect at 350 dome. I pull the breast out at 160 internal and the back half at 180. How's that for simple? -RP
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    maxs recipe makes great gravey but you can simplify it down to cook at 325 inderect over a drip pan. legs aiming toward the hinge for most of the cook. butter or oil the skin and poultry season before the cook, bells seasoning is good. baste every half hour til done, breast around 160 and/or until juices run clear at leg joint, remove and rest atleast 20 minutes. you will still need to make or buy gravey. an hour before done remove most of the drippings and put into freezer to separate fat from broth. when separated put 4 or more tbls fat in pan and add an equal amount of flour and start cooking it while stirring and add more flour til it thickens and browns into a fairly heavey paste, start adding saved broth from drippings slowly and keep stirring til gravey developes, if i dont have enough i will start adding packages of gravey mix and water at this point. with maxes method theres usually plenty of gravey and its just better. maxs method isnt really that involved, but it does cover some little tricks that produce a better bird and having full directions on hand seems to help take the stress out for some on tday. i make a bird the week ahead and make and freeze the gravey for tday, just one less thing to worry about on the holidays. then on tday i cook 2 birds, one maxs way and one stuffed with stuffing
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • it really doesn't get any easier than the mad max turkey, i provide all the detail so that it is easy and foolproof. .basically what you have there is a simple roasted bird. ...you don't have to stuff it with all the herbs if you don't want to, and as for the butter rub, you don't have to put the herbs in that either . . .

but you should do the ice bag trick to keep the breasts from drying out, and you should baste it as well for color and added moistness.. .. other than that, all you are doing is a roasted bird . ..

how much simpler do you want it without it being tasteless and dried out??
  • fishlessman
    back in college we just threw 20 birds in every oven we could find and cooked them upsidedown in tin pans :laugh: always came out great. did that for family day in the fraternity house every year, if frat kids can make turkey, then it aint that hard to do, funny how some get so stressed on tday
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    its much easier than it looks on paper, prep work maybe 20 minutes, you have an hour lighting the egg before the bird goes on anyways
    fukahwee maine

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Hey did you ever make any Italian sausage? -RP
  • fishlessman
    ive made up a couple breakfast patties, pretty good stuff. just posted a deep dish pizza recipe, would go really good in a chicago unos style pizza :)
    fukahwee maine

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    You coming to my home and cooking it for me would be my idea of simpler :woohoo:
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    I dont eat turkey or gravey but am doing a 14 lb for wife, thanks Max and fishlessman for helping me understand, 325 until 160 and use the ice pack on breast. again thanks.