Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My egg is KING!!

Kitarkus
Kitarkus Posts: 181
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My upgrade from medium to large has been fantastic. The addition of the dual function metal top...and perhaps the difference in ceramics (my medium was 10+ years old) has made temperature stability and cookability much better.

I spatchcocked my third chicken last night and went direct for the first time....350 dome....I'll never go indirect again....it was fantastic! I get some unnatural thrill from watching the smoke pour out of the top while my food cooks...i guess I am easy to please! My poor gasser has finally been moved to a secondary l

ocation so that the egg is my most accessible cooker....I'm not sure when I would use the gasser...but I don't have the heart to get rid of it yet.

I tried Royal Oak for the first time this week. I had been buying "Best Choice" brand...which is a discount brand that my local grocer uses...and Royal Oak packages their product under this name for them. It has been good stuff...but small chunks and some sift. The Royal Oak has much nicer chunks and has proven to be the best lump that I have used thus far. I think I'l stick with it for awhile since the Wicked Good is so expensive here.

Lastly....I plan to pickup a small propane outdoor heater today....table top size.....from Craigslist new for $50. It should be a nice way to keep my toes intact since I plan to cook through the cold KC winter which is looming. I am also considering purchasing the long cypress BGE table from Ebay for approx. $300 shipped. I am reasonably handy...but I don't have a truck or tools to complete a table project on my own....a table would really be nice to have.

I am an avid griller....have been for years....but the new large egg makes me love egging all the more. I should have upgraded long ago!

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    No need to get rid of the gasser.. Just use it to store your eggcessories :)

Remember that egg is more than a grill. It's a jerky maker, cheese smoker, BBQ smoker, and wood fired oven.

Only bad quality I have found.. It makes for jealous neighbors.. :woohoo:
  • Kitarkus
    Kitarkus Posts: 181
    Oh yes...I know I know....I was an avid pizza maker on my medium...kept the pizza stone though it looks quite small in the large. Funny you mention the gasser....as I am getting tired of lifing the vinyl cover to get my eggcessories...thus the reason for wanting the table. Does anyone have any experience with the cypress BGE tables? Are they decent for the guy who doesn't wish to build his own?
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    I have the cypress table for my small and don't have the tools either. I think my table has served me well so far. I do use the BGE cover for it though.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    I have the BGE table for one of the larges and love it. I would put several coats of a good sealer on before adding the egg. ;)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Ok Grasshopper now do the spatchcocked turkey direct up in the dome :whistle:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Wow... what an orgasm!! : - 0