Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Woo &/or Flip Ring set up for pizza

Options
MilitantSquatter
MilitantSquatter Posts: 98
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When making pizzas in my XL and two mediums, I've always used the plate setter with pizza stone resting on ceramic feet.

I do have a Woo Ring for the Med, and will be adding the XL Flip Ring.. I've not used the Woo for pizza set-up.

Question: If using the Woo or Flip Ring, are there any drawbacks/disadvantages to just using the top portion of a cooking grid with ceramic feet and pizza stone ?

Would I have to have a second stone underneath like an indirect set up (which is similar to the platesetter/stone set up I currently use ?

Thanks in advance !!

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I'm far from a pizza expert on the Egg but must of the posts I have seen use indirect set up to buffer the direct heat to your pizza stone. If not used your pizza stone will get much hotter than your temp in your dome causing your pizza crust to burn from your stone heat before your toppings and cheese are cooked.

You will love your new XL flip ring. It's the best...
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Vinny, I've found pizza is truly a personal cook. Baking the dough (thick, thin, chewy, crunchy) is such an indivual preference.

Couple things I've found in doing pizza is higher in the dome works better as it provides more even heating on the stone, gets the stone away/above the felt line and possibly takes advantage of reflective heating off the dome. I suggest you play some and see what works best.

On the large I use one 16 inch stone 7-8 inches above the fire ring at 400ish plus degrees dome. No barrier under the baking stone. Pappa Murphy's thin crust below. I need to figure out a two ZA set-up in the XL because we eat two and it would be nice to finish both at the same time.

Picture006.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.