Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help w/ Eye of Round!

Byrdo
Byrdo Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need some help on how to cook an Eye of Round. Do you cook it low-n-slow and to what internal temperature?[p]Thanks[p]Matt

Comments

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    beep.jpg
    <p />Byrdo,[p]I do mine more hot and fast than low-n-slow. There is very little if any fat in an eye roast and it will be tough leather if you cook it too long. I do about 375* until no more than 130* internal for medium rare. Slice it thin and you'll be good to go. Good luck.[p]Chuck <><
  • Byrdo
    Byrdo Posts: 36
    Chuck,[p]Thanks for the info… [p]This is my first time to try cooking an eye of round and I only have a 2-1/2lb roast. Is this large enough? I am cooking a small brisket tomorrow and thought I would just throw the eye of round on with it and see how it comes out. Now, I think I will wait and do it after the EOR comes off. What kind of seasoning blend do you use on your EOR.[p]Regards,[p]Matt

• Chuck
    Byrdo,[p]I'm sure the size will be fine, just don't overcook it. I season with a salt an pepper based rub. Cowlick from Dizzy Pig or Montreal steak rub.
    Speaking of which, if you haven't gotten around to the Dizzy Pig rubs yet, they are VERY, VERY good. I am just about out of several rubs of theirs and will be ordering again soon. If you haven't tried them yet you are missing out on a great product from great guys.[p]Chuck

[ul][li]Dizzy Pig[/ul]
  • Byrdo and others,
    If you want a different twist to that eye of round, take 2 links of chorizo (cooked or cured dry) sausage and insert them in the center of the EOR. To do this take a long blade knife and insert the blade in one end to make an internal slit. If necessary insert the blade in the other end as well.
    Now that you have that internal slit, simply stuff the sausage links into the EOR and cook as you normally would.
    You can also pour a marinade into the meat prior to stuffing.
    If chorizo sausage is not available, andouille cajun smoked sausage would work well. You can also substitue thick sliced strips of ham.
    It's a simple variation of a Cuban dish called Boliche. You can do a google search and find several recipes for this dish.[p]

[ul][li]Boliche recipe search[/ul]
  • Wino
    Wino Posts: 69
    Chuck,
    I noticed that you have the grid raised over a drip pan. Can you do it T Rex style? I was going to do one T Rex tonight, but now I might change since you said it could get tough.
    Any thoughts?
    Ron

• Chuck
    Wino,[p]Hmmmm, to be honest I don't really know. I have never done the T Rex method (I know I should). I think the key to eye roasts is not cooking too long, the T Rex method isn't overly long, so I would GUESS that it would be OK.[p]Chuck

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Chuck,
    Thanks! I am covered from head to toe with spicy dust right now, and them kinda words makes it all worthwhile![p]Takin' a little break for my football fix, and then back to mixin!
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Byrdo, I suppose this is too late to help you but I will throw in my 2cents worth. I am cooking an eye of round right now and it is my 5th one since buying the egg before Christmas. I love this cut of meat. Never ever ate it before I started cooking on the egg. I cook it at 300 for about 1 & 1/2 hours or reaches just 130 degrees internal temp. This is a whole roast so your half roast will take less time...internal temp is the important thing here.
    Remove and wrap in plastic wrap or bag, wrap in foil and put in cooler for 1 hour. Save the juice that comes off of it to put over the meat which you will slice very thin -1/4" in thick or thinner. An electric knife is very handy for this. Delicious cold or warmed-on crusty bread or not.
    Also, forgot to tell you I coat it with olive oil and season it with Montreal Steak seasoning or Emeril's Essence or salt and pepper or tonight trying a Stubbs BBQ rub. Put bacon over the top of the meat while cooking for added moisture. I did not trim any fat off of it before cooking either. Good luck. Time to take mine off of the egg! Sally

• Byrdo, I'm sorry, I forgot to tell you that I cook the eye of round in the direct od and just turn it a couple of times to get nice crust.