Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatcocked Chicken--How long?

Options
ToyCollector
ToyCollector Posts: 74
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning on doing a 6lb spatchcocked chicken tonight. How long should I give it to cook at 350 degrees or so?

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    ToyCollector,[p]WOW! That's a huge chicken. I usually do 3.5 to 4 lb ones for 1 hr at 350°. I'm guessing you should go at least 1.5 hrs for one that big. Best way to tell, though would be to check it's internal temperature at the 1 hr mark and if it's ready, pull it off, if not, let it go a bit longer. You should look for 165° in the breast and 180° in the thigh.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    ToyCollector,[p]I normally do them for 30 minutes a side. That's a big bird. You may want to go a tad longer.[p]Mick

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    ToyCollector,
    I would say 1-1.5 hours depending on how you like your meat and skin.

• ToyCollector
    Options
    QBabe et al,[p]Thank you. I will let you know how it turns out. I have done them before in the oven (also not this big a bird).

• ToyCollector
    Options
    1stspatchcock.jpg
    <p />2 hours. I checked the breast temp and it was at 140, left for 10 minutes and it was a tad over what I wanted it to be. Next time, I'll go back in 5 minutes. Yum Yum though. Did a El Polo Loco or whatever it is marinade. Did some Tsunami Spin rub unde skin and on skin. Skin also had some butter on it, probably a touch to much, but it was definitely crispy.
  • Dock of The Woods
    Options
    ToyCollector, Looks good enough to eat! I hope you get your share of it.[p]Hugh, Sitting on the "Dock of the Woods"[p]
  • ToyCollector,
    I did two, six pounders last weekend and it took 1.5 hrs @ 350 on a large. I turned them for the last ten minutes to crisp the skin. They were just right.