Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

White Chicken Chili Question

BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I read Bigarm's white chicken chili recipe today and I want to try it this weekend. What's the difference between jalopeno peppers and chili peppers?[p]I'm going to vary the recipe some. Instead of breasts and thighs I'm going to spatchcock a small chicken and use all of the meat from that. I don't have any of the dp rub in the recipe (sorry NY, I liked the samples I tried, but I still like experimenting with my own rubs - I'll order some of yours one of these days), but I don't think that will make much of a difference. Also, I bet a little dry white wine or sherry might change the flavor some.[p]Sounds like a good, healthy chili. Can't wait to try it.

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    BluesnBBQ,[p]"Chili pepper" is a catchall term, includes jalapenos, serranos, poblanos, etc. etc. etc. I'm not familiar with that recipe, but you can vary the heat level (and to some extent the overall flavor) of the dish by changing the chili peppers you use.[p]Ken
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    PeppersGlowingCoals.jpg
    <p />BluesnBBQ,
    I just used the freshest best looking peppers I could find. Seems like so many possibilities for different peppers. I used anaheim pepers and (i think) hungarian peppers. The sign said they are similar to Jalapenos, but much lighter in color. I figured the lighter color would be nice with a light colored chili. Plus they looked good.[p]I charred them in the coals, and set in a covered bowl to steam, then peeled the skin and chopped. Added a real nice flavor. A little wine would prolly be good too. I used a splash of vermouth in my original saute.[p]Beers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Nature Boy,[p]I never tried roasting peppers (or anything else) on the coals like that. I once tried an onion wrapped in foil on the coals, but it got burnt to a crisp. Looks great. I'll just get a couple of different pepper from the supermarket when I go shopping.[p]There was a typo in my last post. "NY" was supposed to be "NB" (meaning you) :)
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Nature Boy,
    What are you, an artist or something like that?
    That is simply a beautiful picture.[p]BTW, Happy New Year,R&J

• Nature Boy
    PeppersInCoals.jpg
    <p />BluesnBBQ,
    You can char them up pretty dark...but just enough to char the skin black, but not the flesh. Skin slips right off after steaming, and it ads a nice smokey flavor to the peppers. Learned this from one of my mexxican cookbooks a ways back. You can char them right over your gas burner flame too...just takes a lot longer![p]So...NY now? NatureYungun
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    RhumAndJerk,
    Thanks man! Some luck involved, as usual. The glow of the coals and the bright colors of the peppers was wild.
    Happy New Year back. Hope you aint too busy....like before.
    Cold ones in a couple hours!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    BluesnBBQ,[p]I would say taste....I experimented and that is the taste I liked best....feel free to change it up to your taste.[p]Enjoy
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Nature Boy,
    Everything is running a mile a minute, as usual. I am guilty of not even firing up the Large BGE that I got at Eggtoberfest. The Medium is seeing all of the action. Heck I even burned some hot dogs the other night. I walked away and the medium shot up to 700 degrees. One side of every dog was burnt, and the other side nice.[p]Note to Self: Seared Hot Dogs are not good.
    R&J