Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wireless Meat Thermometer

Options
DocEgg
DocEgg Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all, new Egghead here. I am looking for feedback on thermometers. I want a wireless unit for smoking purposes. I have read reviews online but some/most are old and would like to see if I can get some current information. Thanks.

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Options
    Most here like the Maverick brand. If you want to monitor meat & pit temps both the ET-73 should be about $40.00 on Amzon. For just meat the ET-91 should be less.
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    And if you're doing low and slow, particularly overnight cooks, the ET-73 is nice in that it will tell you if your egg temperature is getting away.

Doug
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    What's up Doc? (Guess that's not very original is it?)
    I have a Thermopen. Works good for me. However, no monitoring capabilities. Simple poke of the probe, instant read. Very good tool for grilling.
  • MJF24
    MJF24 Posts: 146
    Options
    Another vote for the Maverick ET-73. I think it is a little cheaper on ikitchen (http://www.ikitchen.com/maresmth.html?CS_003=740477&CS_010=maresmth) than on Amazon.

There are a few folks around here who have had problems with the ET-73, but, for the money, it does a good job as a remote smoking thermometer.
  • Bama Chad
    Bama Chad Posts: 154
    Options
    You will want to get these 3 items, all for a separate purpose :

Thermapen - instant read
    http://www.thermoworks.com

ET-73 Mav - basic wireless for meat & pit
    http://www.maverickhousewares.com/et73.htm

DigiQII - controlled draft system
    http://thebbqguru.com/
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    as much as i hate the et73, its the one i use, has every feature thats needed including low pit temp alarms. just hate the logic behind setting it up (dont throw out the directions til you do 10 cooks with it, the setup is not intuitive) becareful with the tiny on/off switch, not the most durable. my last one made atleast 4 years and the batteries seem to last forever
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    You must be a genius since you can remember the directions after only 10 cooks. ;)
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    I couldn't after more cook than that, since the low and slow cooks were widely spaced, so I took a Sharpie and wrote "Me on first" on the back of the "Receiver unit" and now it's all cool ! :woohoo: :ohmy: :ohmy:
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    This topic comes up frequently here on the forum. Use the search feature and you will find lots of comments on this subject.

I personally love my Maverick ET-73 and have had no problems with it. I use it on all my low and slow cooks.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    you need to be really drunk to understand the logic to setting one of those up. first time sober setting one up in the morning i had to go find the directions ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I use an ET-73 and one time by accident I burned up the meat probe during a beer can chicken cook so I replaced it with the pit probe and I burned it up as well! :ohmy:

I was on vacation and when I got around to it I called where I bought from. When I did this my egg was to hot and I had just bought the ET-73 from Fred at Fredsmusic and bbq. So, I called Fred and he suggested I call Maverick. I called Maverick and they replaced both the pit probe and the meat probe for free! :)

To top it off they sent me the high temp meat probe even better.

My point is I have recieved great support and service from the Maverick company. Tim

PS I also have and use the Thermapen as well as the CyberQ II. I love them all as well as use them alot. B)
  • gregegg
    gregegg Posts: 68
    Options
    The Maverick works very well... the control operations are a little convoluted, but I think any simplification would require at least two more buttons which would have to enlarge the device and raise the cost.

The features are really just what you want for long slow cooking.

I put 2 butts on Thursday evening at 7:00 and took them off at 4:15 Friday afternoon when they hit 199 degrees.

I'm still pretty new, and still not very good at maintaining temp constancy... without the Maverick the cook would have failed.

But it was delicious and admired by all :)

Greg
    Duluth GA